Cows are undoubtedly the most amazing tame mob in Minecraft. Cows are friendly, easy to breed, and produce some amazing items. You can get food, leather, and milk, which acts as an anti-potion item, from cows. But it is usually the most crucial moment of the game when you cannot find any cow near your base. Fortunately, that problem has a simple solution. You just need to learn how to make a cow farm in Minecraft. Once it’s ready and populated, you’ll never have to look for another cow again. With that said, let’s get started!
Make a cow farm in Minecraft (2022)
We will first cover the mechanics and requirements to build a cow farm in the game. But if you want to jump right into the functionality, you can do so using the table below.
Mechanics of a Minecraft cow farm
Unlike other useful Minecraft farms, the Cow Farm cannot be automated, at least not without the use of Minecraft commands. So you have to put some effort from time to time to keep your automatic cow farm running. But, at the same time, it also implies that cow farms are the easiest to do.
To make a cow farm in Minecraft, you simply have to catch some cows and raise them. Once your farm is overcrowded with cows, you can kill them to collect your rewards. Also, if you know how to use an Allay in Minecraft, you can take care of the harvesting process, making the farm semi-automatic right out of the box.
Necessary elements to make a cow farm
You need the following items to make a cow farm in Minecraft:
- Two cows
- A lot of wheat (as many as possible)
- A stack of fences (or less, depending on the area)
- a gate close up
You can easily find two cows within the plains biome and its variants in Minecraft. You can read about all the Minecraft biomes via the link here. They are much more common around towns. The same towns can also help you get wheat. However, you can grow your wheat in Minecraft to get enough for your farm.
How to make a fence gate and a fence
The fence and fence gate crafting recipe only requires sticks and wooden planks. You can use any wood to create them. Also, their recipe is, in a way, the opposite of each other. And thanks to the abundance of wood in Minecraft, you can quickly build a lot of fences.
How to make a cow farm in Minecraft
Follow the steps below to quickly and easily build a cow farm and get various resources in Minecraft:
1. First, find an open area that is at least 4×4 blocks. It is best not to choose a cold biome to prevent snow from accumulating on your farm.
2. Then, to create a Perimeter around that area using fences. Then add a fence gate to the boundary to enter the farm and transport cows.
3. then use wheat for the cows to follow you and ask them to enter the farm area. You only need two cows to start, but having more of them is better.
4. Next, to activate the farm, hold a piece of wheat and stand outside the farm. The cows will move towards you as soon as they notice the wheat.
5. When the cows approach, you have to feed them with wheat so that the cows reproduce. As soon as both cows are fed, you will see a baby cow spawn. The baby cow will take 20 minutes to become an adult. And it only takes 5 minutes for the cows to be ready to breed again. So if she does it right, she can get a lot of cows in a very short time.
Automatically kill cows to collect XP and items
In cow farms, most Minecraft players usually grab a sword and kill as many cows as they want. It is usually a need-based action. However, unless you save some of them, you will have to start from scratch. In any case, you can follow these steps below if you want to improve the removal process:
1. First, lay solid blocks outside the fence boundaries.
2. Then place Water in a corner of the farm. This will create a flow of water that will push the cows into a corner of the barn.
3. In the corner where the water is taken to the cows, replace the corner block with a hopper and its surrounding blocks with magma blocks.
4. Now every cow that reaches this corner will die due to damage from magma blocks. Items dropped from her will be collected in the chest via the hopper.
The method mentioned above is the most efficient to kill a lot of cows at once. Whenever you want to stop, just remove the water placed to stop the flow of cows.
How to automatically breed cows?
Unfortunately, there is no way to automatically feed and thus breed cows in vanilla Minecraft. But you can use minecraft mods to get this feature.
How big should a Minecraft cow farm be?
The size of the cow farm depends on your requirements. You can start small and slowly expand it as time goes on.
Can dispensers feed mobs?
Dispensers can only drop food as an item. You can’t feed mobs even if they stand next to you. But it is a highly demanded feature that we hope will be present in the Minecraft 1.20 update.
How to get seeds to grow wheat in Minecraft?
Wheat seeds are the most common in the game. You can get them by breaking not only wheat but even normal grass.
Create your own cow farm in Minecraft 1.19
With that, you now have everything at your disposal to create a perfect cow farm in Minecraft. It is much simpler to make than other farms in the game. But because of that, you also have a lot of room for experimentation. Even as a beginner, you can try wild mechanics with the cow farm, and the best minecraft maps are the perfect place to get inspired. But in case you want to level up, you should try building a sculk farm in Minecraft first of all. It is not only new, but also unique in terms of Minecraft farms. With that being said, what other mob farm do you think is useful for survival gamers? Tell us in the comments below!