Choosing a name for your Fortnite account can be difficult. We might as well leave behind the ones we originally picked up a few years ago and want something a little more serious. Whatever the case may be, especially with online gaming, we’d like to update our screen names from time to time. Here is a nifty guide to help you change your username in Fortnite.
How to change your username in Fortnite
This method works if you play primarily on PC, mobile, or Nintendo Switch.
- First, make sure your primary account is on the aforementioned consoles.
- Then head over to the official Epic Games website (it doesn’t matter if you’re on the Fortnite page).
- Login with your credentials (email, platform account link).
- Next, hover over your username in the top right. On mobile, just click on your name. A collapsible menu will appear. Click on ‘Account’.
- On the Personal Data page (this is where you clicked ‘Account’), go to the General tab.
- From here, you can change your display name by clicking the blue pencil button. A popup will appear telling you that you cannot change your name for 2 weeks after doing this.
- Set your new display name and type it again to confirm.
Now everything is ready!
How to change your Fortnite username on Xbox
Since your gamertag is connected to your Gamer Tag, the only way you can change your name is to manually change it on your console or through your Microsoft account via a web browser.
- On your dashboard home page, click on your profile picture in the top left to bring up a menu.
- Click on ‘My Profile’.
- In this menu, click on ‘Customize Profile’.
- Hover over your Gamer Tag and select it. Your first name change will be free on a Serial console. You may have to pay if you want to change it back in the future.
- Then just change your name using the on-screen keyboard and confirm it.
If you plan to change your name in a web browser, here’s what to do.
- Go to the official Xbox website and sign in.
- Click on your gamer tag or profile picture and click on ‘Xbox Profile’.
- Click ‘Customize’.
- On the Customize Profile page, you will see a pencil icon indicating that you can edit your gamer tag.
- You will be redirected to a box where you can enter your name.
- Once you pass the availability checker, you can now successfully change your tag!
How to change your Fortnite username on PlayStation
Just like Xbox, your in-game name is tied to your PSN ID. You can only change it if you change that even though your Epic Games account has a different one.
- In the main menu of your dashboard, go to the top right to find the ‘Settings’ option. Click on that.
- Next, click Account Management (Users & Accounts if you’re on PS5).
- In this menu, select Account Information (Account if you’re on PS5).
- Look for the ‘Profile’ option and select it.
- Select the option corresponding to your online ID.
- A user agreement page will appear telling you that you may lose some features, ownership, or even progress on older titles from your PS4, PS3, and Vita libraries.
- If you wish to continue, press ‘I accept’.
- Enter your new PSN ID and confirm it once done.
If you plan to change your PSN ID in a browser, follow these steps.
- Head over to the PlayStation website and sign in at the top right corner.
- Next, click on your profile picture to open a menu.
- Click on ‘Account Settings’.
- On this page, click on ‘Profile’. You will need to re-enter your login credentials.
- On this page, you can edit your ID, real name, profile picture, and more. Specifically, look for the ID online.
- You will be granted the same user agreement that you may lose functionality, ownership and progress as previous PlayStation games. If you wish to continue, press ‘I accept’.
- Finally, enter your new PSN ID and voila!
As far as this is concerned, changing your user IDs on consoles will not make you lose skins, V-Bucks, or any kind of information for Fortnite.
Fortnite is free to play on PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One and Series consoles, Nintendo Switch, PC through Epic Games, and mobile devices.