While many would argue that the superhero genre is locked down by Disney and Warner Bros with their Marvel and DC properties, that doesn’t stop other distributors and streamers from getting into the genre. Below, we’ll take a look at all of the superhero movies and series that Netflix has in development that will be released in the coming years.
This list will no doubt cross paths with our next list of comic book adaptations a lot, but there are a few that appear on this list and not on that list.
Adapted from Dark Horse Comics, this new series is directed by Andrew Dabb, who is also working at Netflix. demonic resident Serie.
The show is likely to be Netflix’s best bet to fill the RecklessOne-size-fits-all hole left in his library following the departure of the Marvel-Netflix series in early 2022.
Here’s what you can expect from the series:
“Follow a talented fencer, writer and assassin, who seeks to avenge the death of a lost love. He goes to the criminal underworld and wonders, why beat them, when he can join them?
Best known for directing the 2019 film Blue Story, Rapman will direct and write this new superhero series produced by Netflix UK and New Wave Agency.
The show is about a group of ordinary South London people who develop superpowers overnight and their only connection to each other is the color of their skin.
Following the release of the anime series last year, Netflix is ready to adapt super thieves once again, but this time in a live action series format.
The show is a superhero heist series that will be about Johnny Bolt and a host of other supervillains committing ambitious heists against each other.
Other superhero series coming soon to Netflix
- Akin Omotoso Project (Season 1) – Nigerian Superhero 6-part series about Kemi, a goddess reincarnated as a human to avenge her sister’s death.
- Ragnarök (Season 3) – Final season of Norweigen’s fantasy superhero series.
- Stranger Things (Season 5) – Eleven may have lost her powers, but she keeps complaining and will continue to do so until the last season of Strange things coming soon on Netflix.
- Titans (Season 4) – Netflix only outside the US – DC superhero series.
- The Sandman (Season 1) – Coming in 2022 – Should it be included here? It’s based on a comic and there are certainly superpowers, although it fits more into the dark fantasy genre. We’ll include it anyway just in case!
- The Umbrella Academy (Season 3) – Due to be released on Netflix in June 2022 –
Superhero Movies Coming Soon to Netflix
Not only will we be getting a live action movie for BRZRKR, but we will also be getting an anime spin-off. Keanu Reeves is expected to play the Berzerker who fights through the ages as an immortal warrior.
The Old Guard Chapter Two: Force Multiplied
Charlize Theron will reprise her role as Andy in this sequel to The Old Guard, which premiered on Netflix in July 2020.
Gina Prince-Bythewood is on board to direct the sequel, but sadly, we don’t know how long this movie will be in production.
ball and chain
Netflix acquired Ball and Chain starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt in May 2020 and little has been heard of the film since.
Based on the comic book by Scott Lobdell, it’s about a power couple who are struggling in their marriage but can’t do it alone as their powers only work when they’re together.
Code 8: Part II
Following the success of Netflix licensing the first Code 8 movie, Netflix will exclusively release a sequel which has been filming in Canada from late 2021 to 2022.
Here’s what you can expect from the sequel:
“After witnessing her brother’s murder and subsequent cover-up, a teenage girl with abnormal abilities seeks help from an ex-con (Robbie Amell) and his former partner in crime (Stephen Amell). Together, they take on a unit of rogue cops deploying advanced robotic technology to avoid being exposed.”
From Millarworld, this film adaptation of the comic book series was first announced in 2017 and confirmed in early 2022 as the first major theatrical release since Netflix’s acquisition of the comic book collection.
Prodigy revolves around a man with superior intelligence (think Tony Stark but more academic) who is called in to help the government fix problems.
The Russo Brothers are producing this upcoming superhero thriller to be directed by Rick Famuyiwa and starring Keanu Reeves.
This is what you can expect:
“A former vigilante was sentenced to life in prison and is caught after stopping the worst act of domestic terrorism to ever hit New York City. The hero teams up with a disillusioned detective to track down his old nemesis, who has returned to threaten the city.
Other superhero movies coming soon to Netflix
- extreme universe – Based on the comic book series by Rob Liefeld.
- Irredeemable – Studios Boom! comic adaptation about a group of superheroes called The Paradigm who must stop their former ally, The Plutonian, who has now become a supervillain.
- omega girls fall in love – First announced in May 2019, we haven’t heard more about it yet upcoming superhero romantic comedy of the scribe Tim Dowling.
- Spy Kids: Armageddon – Robert Rodriguez returns to write, direct and produce a continuation of the children’s film franchise, spy kids.
- higher than normal – Netflix bought the rights to this movie in 2017, but we haven’t heard a thing about it since. Josh Gad was behind the project with Luke Evans and Daisy Ridley also attached at the time.
- We Can Be Heroes Sequel – A sequel series was apparently announced after the release of Family Movies in 2020, but not much has been heard from it since.