XP farms have been a part of Minecraft since the time people started decorating their bases. But no one has ever seen these two activities occur at the same time. Fortunately, the latest Minecraft 1.19 update changes that with the introduction of the Sculk Catalyst block. It is one of many sculk blocks that spawn in the deep dark caves biome. And if you know how to find, get, and use Sculk Catalyst, you can create a perfect XP farm that can decorate your base with dark features while it works. Sounds groundbreaking, right? Let’s test the usefulness of this block!
Sculk Catalyst Block in Minecraft: Explained (2022)
We’ve covered different methods of obtaining Sculk Catalyst before going over its use. But you can use the table below to jump right into this guide.
What is a Sculk catalyst in Minecraft?
Sculk Catalyst is a unique activity block in Minecraft that generates sculk features around itself if a mob dies and drops experience orbs near it. Given enough time and kills, this block can create the entire deep dark biome with no ancient city anywhere in the game.
Sculk Catalyst belongs to the Sculk family of blocks that are a gift from the Minecraft 1.19 The Wild update. The other sculk blocks added to the game are: Sculk Shrieker, Sculk Veins, Sculk Sensor, and Sculk (Block).
Where is Sculk Catalyst spawned?
The Sculk Catalyst naturally spawns only within the deep dark biome. This is one of the new biomes in the Minecraft 1.19 update. You don’t even have to travel to the ancient city to find it, as the catalyst also spawns much earlier.
How to get Sculk Catalyst in Minecraft
The Sculk Catalyst is relatively easy to find. But you can’t extract it directly and pick it up. If you break the Sculk Catalyst with any random tool, it just drops experience orbs and disappears. So, you must use a hoe with the silktouch enchantment to mine sculk catalyst inside the Deep Dark biome.
The Sculk Catalyst block will drop from Silk Touch alone instead of giving experience orbs. You can use our Minecraft enchantments guide to learn how to apply silk touch to your tools easily. But keep in mind that you cannot use the Silk Touch Charm with the Fortune Charm as the two are not compatible.
How to get Sculk Catalyst from Warden
Enchantments can sometimes be hard to find in Minecraft. So there is another way to get the Sculk Catalyst block, but with a lot of risk involved. You can try to fight and defeat the Warden in Minecraft because when he dies, he drops experience orbs and a Sculk Catalyst block. Then you just have to pick it up and start using Sculk Catalyst on the desired location.
How does Sculk Catalyst work?
For Sculk Catalyst to work, you must meet the following conditions:
- The mob that dies near her must fall experience orbs. If the dying mob doesn’t drop any experience orbs, the catalyst just ignores his death.
- This block only detects mobs that die within a 8 block radius of the catalyst.
- the cause of death is irrelevant to the catalyst. So the mob can die from a player, another mob, or natural causes. If the mob loses experience, they will gain sculk functions at that location.
- As for the number of sculk features, the higher the experience, the larger the coverage area for the sculk.
- A Sculk Catalyst can even generate a noise sensor or a sculk squeaker if the dying mob is within 4 blocks away.
How to use Sculk Catalyst in Minecraft
Once you’ve mined a Sculk Catalyst block from the Deep Dark biome, follow the steps below to use it in the 1.19 update:
1. First, find an open space to place Sculk Catalyst. Remember that it replaces nearby blocks to generate Sculk functions. So placing it inside your Minecraft house might not be the best idea.
2. After placing the block, you have to bring the mob you want to kill near him. If you can’t find enough mobs to kill, you can try making a goat farm in Minecraft for your supply.
3. Finally, to activate Sculk Catalyst, you must kill a mob within an 8 block radius of the block. You can also use the best sword enchantments to ensure death before the mob gets too far away.
Find and use Sculk Catalyst in Minecraft
Now, whether you want to decorate your base with a scary theme or rack up lots of experience points, Sculk Catalyst is here to help. It is one of the most unique blocks that have been added to the game. You just have to make sure you use it right. But if that’s not enough, the best Minecraft mods can take your experience one step further. However, you must install Forge in Minecraft before using any of them. However, if you don’t like mods, you can try combining Sculk Catalyst with an XP mob farm. It can help you take your game to the next level without trying too hard. With that being said, do you want to fight Warden to get Sculk Catalyst? Tell us in the comments!