Minecraft is the best selling game of all time. Part of its popularity stems from the almost limitless things you can do in the game. Mods further expand the scope of Minecraft, and several mods include hundreds of hours of extra gameplay.
This guide will show you how to download and install Minecraft mods on PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, and console.
Mods are expansions that add content to the game, modify it, or both. There are hundreds of community-created mods, many of which have been combined into incredibly complicated mod packs that can add up to hundreds of hours of gameplay.
For example, some of the most popular mod packs turn Minecraft into an adventure game, while others expand the crafting potential, allowing players to build massive factories and automate crafting.
Other mods like OptiFine have been developed to improve and optimize the graphic quality of Minecraft to increase the performance in the game. You can easily install mods like OptiFine without using third-party apps.
We recommend getting your hands on the Java edition because Mojang has refused to support community mods on the Bedrock edition.
Minecraft: Java Edition has many mods available and is the easiest version to mod. The downside is that it’s only available for PC, Mac, and Linux.
The most popular method of modding in Java Edition is to use a third-party modding program. Forge. We’ll cover how you can install individual mods manually, but installing mod packs via Forge takes all the work out of the process and means that each mod has been painstakingly optimized for each other so you know they’re compatible.
Forge is an application programming interface (API) that allows mods to interact with Minecraft. For most mods, Minecraft Forge is required for them to work.
- Download the recommended version of Forge from the official Web site and complete the installation.
- Download the mods you want from a trusted source. The best location is curseforge, a repository of mods and mod packs. The two best alternatives are in the launcherwhich also has many modifications, and techniquewhich still has many packages for older versions of Minecraft.
- Press windows key + R to open Run.
- Type %application data% and press enter.
- Double click on the .Minecraft file.
- Right click anywhere in the folder and select New > File. name it modifications.
- Move your downloaded mod to the mods folder.
CurseForge has its own version of the Minecraft launcher. If you use the CurseForge launcher, you won’t need to install Forge separately, as it will take care of the process for you. You can use the CurseForge launcher to find and install the best Minecraft mods and mod packs.
The CurseForge Launcher is available on both Windows and macOS and is the easiest way to manage Forge mod packs in Minecraft.
To use the CurseForge launcher:
- Download the launcher from the official Web site and install it.
- Open the CurseForge launcher.
- Select the Browse mod packs tab.
- Click Install next to the mod package you want to install.
- Select the my modpacks tab when you have finished installing and click To play.
The easiest way to download Minecraft mods on a Mac is to use the CurseForge launcher as above. To manually install mods, the process is identical to Windows, except for the modifications the folder needs to be created in:
You can quickly access this folder by pressing Domain + Change + GRAM.
Unfortunately, there are no mods for the console version of Minecraft (Minecraft: Bedrock Edition). Instead, console players can access add-ons from the marketplace. These plugins are not free and are limited to skin and texture packs that allow you to change the look of things in the game.
To download plugins:
- Launch Minecraft and select Market from the main menu.
- Choose the skin pack, mix pack, world or texture pack you want.
- Buy it with Minecoins or credit card.
- To apply the plugin to a world, open the World Settings and select behavior pack either resource pack and activate your plugin.
Note: There are older methods of adding community-made mods to the Xbox One version of Minecraft. However, Microsoft constantly patches these methods so that they no longer work.
Installing mods on Android or iPhone is relatively easy nowadays. However, you must use a third party mod installer, there are very few mods and the ones that do exist are highly restricted. Minecraft PE includes a Marketplace with various addons similar to the console version.
Note: To install third-party mods using a mod installer, you will need to have the latest version of Minecraft installed.
To download mods on Android:
- Open the google play store and download block launcher. This is similar to Forge for Java Edition and helps integrate mods into Minecraft: PE.
- Return to the google play store and install Mods for Minecraft PE. This app allows you to browse and install various mods.
- Opened mods for minecraft pe, then download the mod you would like to play.
Next, all you have to do is use BlockLauncher to import the mod into Minecraft. To do it:
- Open Minecraft.
- Select Manage ModPE scripts from the BlockLauncher menu.
- Select To matter.
- Play local storage > Download.
- Select your mod and tap To matter.
The mod should now be applied to your Minecraft app.
To download mods on iOS:
- Open the iOS app store and download Mods for Minecraft PE.
- Search the app for the mod you would like to play and select Install.
Note: Remember that since these mods are created by the community and Minecraft is constantly being updated, many may no longer work or stop working after you install them.
With this tutorial, you will be able to download and install mods for any platform that allows Minecraft mods to work. New mods and mod packs come out every year, so keep an eye out for them. The hardest part will be deciding which mod packs to install!