The online world of Minecraft is packed with amazing content, unique Minecraft biomes, and a massive active community. No player can fully experience the magic of Minecraft by simply playing offline. That means if you don’t already know how to join a server in Minecraft, you’re in for a big snag. But don’t worry, we’re here to help you learn that. Our guide covers everything he needs to know about finding and joining Minecraft servers with ease. These instructions below work in Minecraft Java and Bedrock editions as long as the server supports it. However, if you want more control over online play, creating your own Minecraft server might be a better option. With that said, let’s dive in and learn how to join a Minecraft server on PC, console, and mobile.
Join servers in Minecraft Bedrock and Java (2022)
The in-game process for joining Minecraft servers can look different on each platform, especially with the Bedrock edition available on PC, console, and mobile. Therefore, use the table below to explore the steps for each platform at your convenience.
Requirements to join Minecraft servers
To join a Minecraft server, you just need to meet these basic requirements:
- A device that supports and runs Vanilla Minecraft smoothly
- AN microsoft account which is connected to minecraft
- At least 1Mbps Internet speed (on vanilla servers with a limited number of players)
- At least 10Mbps internet speed (on custom servers with more players)
- Server address or public IP address of the Minecraft server
- equal or supported game version like the server
Please note that you cannot join multiplayer servers on hacked copies and custom launchers of Minecraft. You need an official copy of the game to play online. As for the server address, you can find it from the server website or you can get it from the host. In case it is a Realm server in Minecraft, the address will be a six digit code. You can read all about the Minecraft Realm servers through the linked guide.
Console Online Memberships
Console gamers need to spend more money beyond the cost of the game to play on an online server. Depending on your console, you need the following subscriptions to join servers in Minecraft:
To reiterate, these prices are for the monthly subscription. You can get a better deal with annual memberships and bundles like Xbox Game Pass.
Join the Minecraft servers on Bedrock (Xbox, PS4/PS5, Switch and mobile devices)
Minecraft Bedrock is compatible with multiple platforms, including Windows 10 and 11, Android and iOS, PS4 and PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, and Nintendo Switch. You can follow the steps below to join Minecraft servers online on any of these platforms.
1. Start Minecraft Bedrock and press the “Play” button on the home screen.
2. Then, go to the “Servers” tab clicking on it. It’s the rightmost tab in the top menu.
3. Minecraft will now present you with some of the most popular servers in its Featured Servers list. If something interests you, first click on the name of the server, then on the “Join Server” button in her description to join her.
4. In case you are not interested in the featured servers, scroll down and choose the “Add server” option.
5. Minecraft will now ask you to enter server details including server name, server address and port. The port, unless specified by the server administrator, should always be 19132. In the meantime, you must enter the server ip or normal address in the “server address” text box. Later, click the “Play” or “Save” button.
How to Join Minecraft Servers in Java (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
Unlike the Bedrock edition, there are no featured servers in the Java version of the game. However, you can find plenty of reliable options to choose from in our list of the best Minecraft servers. With that said, follow the steps below to join a Minecraft server on macOS, Linux, and Windows.
1. First, open Minecraft Java Edition and click the “Multiplayer” button. It’s right below the “Single Player” button you use to play offline.
2. Minecraft will warn you about online servers that are not suitable for everyone. After reading the warning, click the “Continue” button continue.
3. Now if the server you are trying to join is hosted locally, it will automatically appear on your screen. On the contrary, click the “Add Server” button. You can also use the “Direct Connect” button to simply connect to the server and not save it to the server list.
4. Finally, enter the Server address along with the desired name for the server you are connecting to. Additionally, you can also activate the resource packs attached to each server in the server address section. Then click on the “Done” button to save and join the server.
How to Join Minecraft Realm Servers
Beyond the manual options, Minecraft also offers a modern way to join online servers, but only for Realms players. But before you can join a Realm server, you must meet the following criteria:
- A copy of Minecraft with the same edition as the Realm server
- An Xbox gamertag
- A share link or gamertag invite
- If you join on console, an active subscription to your online service
Join servers in Minecraft with Share Link
If you are playing on PC, you can click the “share link” option that your friend sent you. It will automatically load your game and join the Realm server. A similar thing happens when you accept the gamertag invite on a PC. But if you’re not on a PC, some manual work is required to join a realm server in Minecraft.
Join via Realm Code on Bedrock Edition
All Realm links have the following format: “realms.gg/abc-abc123”, where the last 6 characters of the URL are the Realm code. You need to copy it, load your Minecraft game and paste it using the “Join Realme” option to join the server.
You can find the invitation as well as the “join the kingdom” in the “Friends” tab. Once you have played on this server, the Kingdom will show us only in this place.
Join via Realm Invite in Minecraft Java
The Java edition has a “Minecraft Realms” option on its home page. You can use this section to purchase and join a real server. If a friend invites you to join their kingdom, the same button will display a mail-like icon (see screenshot above). You can click on it to join your real server.
Do you see the error “Unable to join server”? How to fix!
There can be a variety of causes that can prevent you from joining a server. Some of the common ones are:
- Unstable or slow internet connection
- The server is full or has blocked your username
- Your game version or server game version is too old
Additionally, Minecraft Preview and Beta players cannot play on regular or Realm servers.
Can Minecraft Java and Bedrock players use the same server?
Although both editions are much more similar than ever, Minecraft still doesn’t support cross-play between the two. But there are many servers online that have separate dedicated segments for both editions with the same world. And unfortunately, that’s as close as we can get for now.
How can I make a Minecraft server?
There are a variety of Minecraft servers ranging from dedicated servers to those online. You can use our guide to easily create Minecraft servers in Java and Bedrock editions for free.
Join and play Minecraft online servers
That’s pretty much everything you need to know about joining a Minecraft server on all platforms. All you need to do now is get your friends ready and find some interesting servers to hang out with. But, if you’re still unsure about joining servers hosted by strangers, you can experience the same thrill through some of the best Minecraft adventure maps. You just have to install custom minecraft maps and invite your friends online to explore them in a closed circle.
As for offline players, the best Minecraft mods are still the most unique way to add new items and enjoy the game. But please turn off mods before joining an online server. Most of the servers do not allow you to use mods other than Optifine for Minecraft. It is a performance enhancement mod that allows players to use shaders in Minecraft. With that being said, it’s time for you to start exploring the online world of Minecraft. And if you have any problem joining a server, leave your query in the comment section and our team will help you.