Ancient cities are now available to explore in Minecraft version 1.19. This new structural area is currently considered the most dangerous in the game due to a powerful mob known as the Warden.
Our guide will help you to conquer the Ancient City in Minecraft 1.19. You’ll learn how to find it, explore it undetected, and loot it all, including Redstone’s secret lab.
How to find the ancient city in Minecraft 1.19
Ancient Cities appear deep underground, at negative Y coordinates between -30 and -50. These giant structures often cover hundreds of blocks and can spawn in the spawn. If you’re really lucky, you can find one pretty quickly.
Old cities tend to spawn under new mountain biomes, like jagged peaks or snowy slopes. But if you don’t have time to search, you can use these seeds, where Ancient Cities spawn:
- -2354936348104741050 at coordinates 100, -50, 70 (Java)
- 70885 at coordinates 150, -50, 150 (Bedrock)
Try to approach an ancient city from the same level as its bedrock, or even below, so you can climb instead of falling off the roof, which could easily kill you.
you will need the following equipment for the exploration of the ancient city:
- Lots of food.
- Lots of wool.
- Night vision potions.
- A sword and bow, or any other viable weapon.
- A pickaxe, a hoe with Silk Touch and other tools.
- Armor, preferably Protection IV.
- Healing items, such as golden apples.
- A bed for a quick comeback.
Ancient City: Rules of Engagement in Minecraft 1.19
The Old City is very dangerous and is inhabited by Wardens, which are extremely powerful hostile mobs. These mobs don’t appear immediately, but Sculk Shriekers can summon them, if the Sculk Sensors detect your presence in an ancient city.
How to Avoid Sculk Sensors
Sculk Sensors are special blocks that react to vibrations, movement, and light sources in an ancient city. If any of these are registered by the sensors, they start emitting redstone signals. This will cause Sculk Shriekers to summon a Guardian, which will chase down and defeat the intruder.
Please note that you will have three alert levels before a Sculk Shrieker summons a Guardian in an Ancient City. If you manage to avoid alerting a Sculk Shrieker, every 10 minutes a Sculk Shrieker will remove one alert level.
Here are some essential tips on how to avoid sculk sensors and Sculk Shriekers:
- Do not get close or break the Sculk blocks.
- Keep a distance with them of at least 10 blocks.
- Move only in a crouched position.
- Use wool to reduce vibrations.
- Use night vision potions instead of torches.
How to Break Sculk Shriekers
It’s recommended not to touch or approach Sculk Shriekers in an ancient city, but you may find yourself so busy looting that at some point activating a Sculk Shrieker is all but inevitable, eventually summoning a Guardian.
So to prevent this from happening, it would be wise to break Sculk Shriekers, if you plan on staying inside an Ancient City for longer periods of time.
Follow these tips, if you want safely get rid of sculk shriekers:
- The best tool for breaking up a Shrieker Sculk is a simple hoe.
- Be quick about it, you won’t have more than 4-5 seconds to do it.
- Break all the Shriekers in the vicinity, or they will shoot each other.
- Keep an eye out for an ancient city exit point at all times in case a guardian appears.
How to deal with the warden
Despite all precautions, you can still experience the summoning of the Guardian. When this happens you will hear a loud noise and the hostile mob will rise up from the ground.
These are the most important tips that you simply must know about how to deal with the guardian:
- Don’t try to defeat Warden!
- Don’t make any noise or it will detect you.
- Keep sneaking and ducking as you move towards the exit point.
- If he doesn’t see you, wait 60 seconds and the Guardian will disappear.
How to enter the Redstone laboratory in the ancient city
In addition to all the great loot you can collect in the Old City, you can also enter the secret Redstone lab. The Redstone Laboratory can be found under a giant monument that resembles the Guardian’s head in the center of town.
Follow these steps, if you want to know how to enter the Redstone laboratory of an ancient city:
- Find and open a chest in front of the central monument.
- pick up a golden carrot from the chest, but do not eat it.
- Go to the bridge near the monument.
- Locate two walls. under the bridge made of deep slate blocks.
- Approach the wall made of deep chiseled slate blocks
- Standing in front of him, eat the golden carrot.
- Once the doors open Collect all the loot inside the lab.
You’ll usually find a lot of Redstone blocks there, plus you’ll be able to get the following loot from the Old City:
- hide and seek blocks
- basalt blocks
- soul blocks
- skeleton skulls
- various enchantments
- echo shards
- Reinforced deep slate
- gold and diamond items
For more Minecraft guides, check out our dedicated Minecraft guides pageand if you were looking for Minecraft seeds, go to this page.