Before the announcement of Minecraft 1.20 Update, all the shelves in the game were purely decorative. They looked like bookshelves, but they didn’t have any features to store books on them. The only practical purpose of these racks was to feed the enchanted table in minecraft. Now, things are about to change with the next update. As silly as it sounds, you can finally store books on shelves in the game. All you need to do is figure out how to make a chiseled bookshelf in Minecraft and bring your home library to life.
How to create a chiseled bookshelf in Minecraft (2022)
Note: The Chiselled Shelf is only available as an experimental feature on Minecraft 1.20 Beta and 22w42a Snapshot right now. Everything from its texture to its mechanics is subject to change in the final release.
What is a chiseled shelf?
The chiselled shelf is a storage block in minecraft that allows you to store “book and pen”, written books, regular books and even enchanted books. Each bookshelf can hold up to six books at a time. The number of books is displayed visually on the chiseled bookshelf, although there is no visual indicator of the type of each book.
Also, unlike utility blocks or other storage blocks, there is also no single user interface available for this block. Instead, you need to walk directly to the chiseled bookshelf and place books on it. But more on that later.
Necessary elements to make a chiselled bookcase
You just need to collect the following items to craft a chiseled bookshelf in Minecraft:
You can use any type of wood in minecraft to make the chiselled shelf. Planks don’t even have to use the same type of wood in this crafting recipe. Now for those who don’t know, you can easily get planks by placing wooden logs in the crafting area. Although if you want use bamboo wood in minecraft, you will have to combine four pieces of bamboo. See the linked guide for more information.
Meanwhile, you need to place three pieces of planks adjacent to each other in any row of the crafting area to make wooden slabs. Three wooden planks will give you six wooden slabs. We only need three slabs to make a chiseled bookcase in Minecraft.
Chiseled Bookshelf Crafting Recipe in Minecraft
Once you’ve collected all the materials, follow the steps below to create a chiseled bookshelf in Minecraft:
1 First, fill the middle row of the processing area with wooden slabs.
2. Then, place wooden planks in all remaining cells of the production area. It must completely fill the top and bottom rows. And well, the exit will be the chiselled shelf.
How to use a minecraft chiseled bookshelf
Using a chiseled bookshelf is simple in Minecraft. Follow these steps to quickly get familiar with this new item in the game:
1. First, equip the chiseled bookshelf in your inventory and place it on a flat surface.
2. Next, equip the book-based item you want to place on the chiseled bookshelf and right click or use secondary action key on the chiselled shelf. The chiseled shelf will fill up every time you place an item.
3. If you want pick up any book from the chiseled bookshelf, you need to right-click or secondary action key on it. Just make sure you don’t have another book-based item while you’re at it. Without forgetting, the chiselled shelf follows a stack order. So the item you put last will be removed first.
Other uses of chiseled shelving
Once all of your books are in place, you can also use chiseled bookshelves in the following ways:
- Gas: Being a wooden item, you can use chiseled shelving as fuel in furnaces and blast furnaces.
- Decorative: Like the normal shelf, this new block also acts as a decorative block. In fact, thanks to the half-filled variety, it can be used to create a more realistic library.
- Red stone Sign: The Chiselled Shelf sends out a Redstone signal based on the number of items stored. This signal can be detected and used with the help of a red stone comparator.
Make and use a chiseled bookshelf in Minecraft
Whether you want to upgrade your minecraft house ideas or just want a new in-game storage option, the new chiseled shelving has got your back. But they’re just one of the exciting new minecraft 1.20 update features. You can check out our dedicated guide for all the features we expect in the next update. Having said that, do you think shelving is better than chiseled shelving? Tell us in the comments below!