Modding has always helped games stay relevant for years after their release, and Minecraft is no exception. If you’re tired of playing the vanilla version, check out this guide on how to add mods to Minecraft.
Interestingly, some of the most popular games in history like Minecraft, GTA V, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim V and Animal Crossing: New Horizons have one thing in common: mods. These games allow players to generate their own ideas and implement them with modding.
It would not be an exaggeration to say that Minecraft is the epitome of sandbox gaming. Of Beds Y buckets a invisibility potions Y beacons, the variety of items you can mine and craft is fascinating. Mods further enhance this sandbox nature by adding new textures, ray tracinganimals, plants, mechanics and various other things.
If you’re also down to spice things up in your Overworld, learn how to add mods to Minecraft with this guide.
How to install Minecraft mods on Windows
Follow these steps to add mods to Minecraft on Windows:
- Go to the official website of the forge and download the recommended version. Installing the latest version is not the best option as many mods do not work with it. Install the version of Forge that you downloaded.
- Download the Minecraft mods you want to add. There are many sources for this, including curseforge where you can find thousands of mods that are updated regularly.
- When downloading a mod, be sure to check its compatibility with your game version and modding software.
- To go C: > Users > [Your username] > Application data > Roaming > Minecraft.
- In the Minecraft folder, create a new folder called mods. This is where you should place all the mods you want to add to the game.
- Activate your Forge account and launch Minecraft. If the mods are compatible, you should see the corresponding effects.
quick tip – Minecraft mods can sometimes mess up your progress if they are not supported. To avoid such a situation, it is advisable to make a copy of your original world before adding modifications to it.
You can do this by tapping the Edit button in the bottom left corner of the screen. Select the Backup option and let the game transfer the files.
How to install Minecraft mods on Mac
You can install Minecraft mods on Mac exactly like on Windows. Download Forge and the desired mods and place the mods in a mods folder.
The only difference is the location of the Minecraft directory on Mac devices. You will need to go to ~ > Library > Application Support > Minecraft. In the final folder, create the ‘mods’ folder and repeat everything else mentioned for Windows.
Can you add mods to Minecraft on Xbox and PlayStation consoles?
You cannot add mods to Minecraft on Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 consoles. However, to make your game more fun, we suggest you download add-ons from the official Marketplace feature on the home screen .
Having said that, the plugins you’ll find on the Marketplace cost real money and won’t be as liberating as the mods.
Can you add mods to Minecraft on Android and iOs?
You cannot add mods to Minecraft on mobile devices, including Android and iOS. However, you can find third-party apps like BlockLauncher on the Google Play Store or App Store that help download and install plugins.
Once again, do not have high expectations of the mods you install on mobile devices as they are heavily restricted compared to the PC versions.
Image credits: Mojang