After hours of mining, exploring, and building Minecraft farms, it’s time for you to kick back and recharge. But to do that, you need to know how to make a bed in Minecraft. This is the only item that allows you to sleep in the game and also provides a safe place to respawn in the world. You won’t even be able to survive some scenarios, like fighting the Ender Dragon in Minecraft, unless you create a bed to back you up. So let’s not waste another moment and learn everything there is to know about beds in Minecraft.
Guide to make a bed in Minecraft (2022)
We are covering the uses, mechanics and recipe for crafting beds in Minecraft. Use the table below to explore everything you need to know about Minecraft beds.
What is a bed in Minecraft?
Unsurprisingly, a bed is a block of placeable items in Minecraft that you can sleep on in the overworld. It allows you to reset your spawn point in the world, so every time you die, it returns to where you placed the bed. If you don’t have a bed you slept in, then the game sends you back to the world spawn point. Not forgetting that other players, even villagers in the game, can sleep in these beds (as shown below).
In theory, it’s one of the simplest items in the game, but once you start using it, the bed can even save your life in the right situation. And the best thing is that you can create a bed on your first day of spawning. If you’re quick enough, you can have a bed ready before sunset, so you can sleep in-game and skip the night to avoid fighting hostile Minecraft mobs that spawn in the dark.
Where do beds usually appear?
Naturally, beds most commonly spawn in the minecraft villages. You can find them in almost every villager’s house. However, the color of the bed could change with the biome of the village. Here is a full list of villages where beds spawn in the game:
- Desert/Prairie Village: beds of cyan, green and lime
- town of the plains white and yellow beds
- savannah village: red, yellow and white beds
- Taiga people: purple and blue beds
- Snowy Tundra Village: red blue white beds
Not forgetting, you can also find a red bed spawning inside. igloo. But compared to villages, igloos are rare and hard to find. Therefore, we suggest you explore our best Minecraft Village seeds article to easily get a bed. They can be broken and picked up with any tool, as well as with bare hands.
Items you need to make a bed
If looking for a bed doesn’t go as planned, you can always resort to creating one yourself. You need to get your hands on the following items to make a bed in Minecraft:
- Three wool blocks (the same color)
- three wooden planks (none)
- craft table
To get wood planks, you need to place a wood/log block in the crafting area. They are one of the easiest blocks to make in the game. You can use any type of wooden plank to craft a bed in Minecraft. They don’t even have to be the same type of wood. Meanwhile, getting wool is a completely different story.
How to get wool in Minecraft
Follow the steps below to get wool in Minecraft:
1. First, wander the world until find a sheep. They usually appear in a group of 3-4 mobs.
2. Then, kill the sheep until you have 3 blocks of the same type of wool to make a bed. Each sheep drops 1 block of wool when it dies.
3. Alternatively, you can also create a shears in minecraft and use it on the sheep collect its wool without killing it. This method can get up to 3 blocks of wool at the same time. But, if you only have a mob of sheep, you will have to wait a few minutes for the wool to grow back.
Also, thanks to recent updates, you can also find wool naturally spawning in Minecraft. Wool blocks can be found in the following places:
- As part of the wool statues inside Woodland Mansion
- At the shepherd’s house, the freighter’s house and the meeting points of the people of the plains
- As a roof for small structures around looting posts.
- Within the walls and floors of the corridors of the Old City
Minecraft Bed Crafting Recipe
Once you have all the ingredients, it’s easy to create a bed in Minecraft. Follow these steps to make yourself a bed in the game:
1 First, place three wooden planks in the second or bottom row of the production area. It doesn’t matter what type of wood planks you use, as the type is not reflected in the final design.
2. Then, place the wool blocks right on top of the wooden planks, completely filling the row. These wool blocks have to be the same color, otherwise the recipe won’t work. In addition, the color of the bed mattress will be determined by the color of the wool.
How to dye a bed in Minecraft
As for the colors, Minecraft offers us 18 different types of beds in the game. These include the following colors:
- Light Blue
- Light grey
With so much variety, it would seem like a crime not to customize your bed to your liking. Fortunately, you don’t have to hunt for different types of sheep to get colored bedding. Instead, you can simply match an existing bed with a stain on the artboard to create a bed of your choice. This crafting recipe is random and you can place the two items anywhere in the crafting area.
Unfortunately this mechanic only works with white beds in the Java edition. Meanwhile, Bedrock Edition users can freely dye any bed any color in the game.
How to use a bed in Minecraft
With the bed ready, here are a variety of ways you can use this cool item in Minecraft:
- Skipping the night: The most common purpose of beds in Minecraft is to sleep. You can use the bed to sleep during thunderstorms and at night. Also, if you don’t sleep for several days, the game spawns a hostile mob called Phantom to hunt you down.
- Skipping the night: You can sleep in Minecraft to skip a few hours in the game until the sun comes up again. But this mechanic only works in the overworld dimension and only when there are no hostile mobs directly within 8 blocks of the bed.
- Spawn Point Configuration: When you die in Minecraft, you respawn next to the same bed you last slept on. But if your bed is destroyed or blocked by multiple solid blocks, the game will send you back to the spawn point. This is where you initially spawn when you load up a new world.
- Rebound: As silly as it sounds, you can jump on beds in the game to gain bounce speed. Villager babies like to jump on village beds. They also reduce fall damage in Minecraft by 50%, regardless of how high you fall from.
- Zombie Cure: If you’re trying to heal a zombie villager, keeping a bed nearby will speed up the process.
- Spawning iron golems: As mentioned above, villagers can also sleep in beds in Minecraft. Near a bed, villagers can spawn Iron Golems when they feel threatened. This mechanic allows you to build an iron farm in Minecraft.
- Weapon: If you use a bed outside the overworld, it explodes like a block of TNT. This strange but powerful mechanic allows players to use beds as weapons in Minecraft.
How to make beds explode
Beds are one of the most underrated yet powerful explosive weapons in Minecraft. If you place a bed in the Nether or End dimension and then try to sleep in it, the bed immediately explodes. This strange behavior is generally considered a drawback of beds, as they can kill players and make it difficult to set up a spawn point in those hostile dimensions. But if used wisely, these beds can also easily become a reliable explosive weapon.
Expanding on that, here’s how to use beds as a weapon in Minecraft:
1. First, travel to the End or Nether dimension. You can visit the final dimension by finding a fortress in Minecraft. Meanwhile, for the Nether dimension, you need to create a Nether portal in Minecraft.
2. Next, place the bed where you want it to explode.
3. Finally, as a measure of protection, surround yourself with solid blocks that can help reduce the damage from the explosion. Solid building blocks are usually enough for the job. But don’t forget to leave an opening in the cover to use the bed. You have to be within the 2 block area in the Java edition and within the 3 block area in the Bedrock edition to use the bed.
4. Then right click or secondary action key on the bed to use it to blow it up. A exploding bed deals damage to surrounding blocks and mobs, like a block of TNT would.
Make and use a bed in Minecraft
Whether you want a nice place to rest or a powerful weapon, the bed in Minecraft is ready for you to use. You can create a variety of beds to improve your Minecraft house. And if you’re on a multiplayer Minecraft server, all of your friends can have their unique colored bed. But which of the available color options would you consider the best? Tell us in the comments below!