- Game studio Vulcan Forged closes an $8 million Series A round led by Skybridge Capital
- Bored Ape Yacht Club and Azuki NFTs have had the highest NFT sales in the last seven days
NFT for health care
NFTs are addressing the UN sustainable development goals.
The Women in Innovation Fund (WiN Fund) is using proceeds from NFT sales to invest in women-led healthcare startups in Africa, addressing the UN’s third goal: good health and well-being.
NFTs for good causes are a growing concept, and the benefits of blockchain for healthcare and democracy are being explored in countries with unstable leadership.
Women are more attuned to the health care needs of their community, according to Corinne Momal-Vanian, executive director of the Kofi Annan Foundation. “Women entrepreneurs, from what we’ve seen in Africa, can drive innovation, they can drive efficiency and they can really have a place in the healthcare ecosystem that governments can’t fill,” she said at a roundtable adjacent to the UN in New York this week. .
Representatives from the World Health Organization and the World Economic Forum also participated.
WiN Fund co-founder Pradeep Kakkattil reminded the audience of an “unacceptable” statistic: Only 2% of venture capital investments worldwide go to women-led companies, despite the fact that women-led companies they generate 35% more performance and create 6 times more. more jobs.
Coinbase partners with ENS
Coinbase has partnered with the Ethereum Naming Service (ENS) to create its own Web3 usernames.
Built on top of the ENS infrastructure, Coinbase usernames are ENS subdomains that contain a ‘.cb.id’ at the end, instead of ‘.eth’.
Users can then replace their 42-character address with a custom wallet address.
Users who already own an .eth domain now have the option to transfer ownership of the ENS name to a Coinbase wallet and choose between a Coinbase username or an existing ENS username as the primary username for that wallet.
A .cb.id username is not tied to Ethereum and can be used on various networks to send and receive crypto.
Simplified wallet addresses have recently increased in popularity during the last few months of the bear market. Since July, ENS registrations are up 200% and total NFT sales volume is up 80% in the past three months, according to NFTGo data.
Latest NFT Loyalty Program: Scotch & Soda
Amsterdam-based lifestyle brand Scotch & Soda is enhancing its consumer loyalty program by launching an NFT-based membership for soda club 3.0.
Holders are granted exclusive access to products and events, as well as the ability to co-create clothing with Scotch & Soda partners.
Each NFT acts as a membership card for what is called the “Free Spirit” community of Scotch & Soda lovers.
Cloud software company Salesforce has chosen Scotch & Soda to introduce its NFT Cloud pilot service to help businesses create and manage NFTs.
NFT back in Minecraft?
Minecraft developer Mojang recently banned NFT support within Minecraft server and client apps, but MyMetaverse has found a way around the new restriction.
The metaverse company re-implemented playable NFTs not only on Minecraft game servers, but also on modified versions of Grand Theft Auto (GTA).
Using NFTs running on Efinity, a Polkadot parallel chain developed by the Enjin gaming platform, MyMetaverse works with developers building third-party servers on top of the core Minecraft and GTA 5 games.
Simon Kertonegoro, CEO of MyMetaverse, told Blockworks that it works similar to how WordPress allows people to use its technology to create custom websites. “These servers are self-hosted, modified instances of the game, running independently of Mojang or Rockstar,” Kertonegoro said.
Therefore, Mojang and GTA’s parent company, Rockstar, have no official affiliation with NFTs.
“Modified versions allow the game to connect with crypto wallets and recognize in-game NFTs, which the user can use as in-game items,” he added.
GameFi by the numbers
- Vulcan Forged Blockchain Gaming Studio insured $8 million in a Series A funding round led by investment firm SkyBridge Capital, founded by former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci. The round includes the option to invest an additional $33 million. The funding will go towards accelerating the growth of “Metascapes,” a play-to-win feature that allows Vulcan users to build their own land in the metaverse. Vulcan Forged has around 200,000 active users across 15 games and decentralized applications (dapps).
- Blockchain game Splinterlands sold its most recent edition of card packs, Riftwatchers, in less than 2 minutes, pocketing $5.2 million from the sale of 500,000 packs. Within hours, community members had also purchased 30,000 packs of previous cards, according to the company. 25 million SPS, the native Splinterlands token, was immediately burned or sent to the SPS Foundation DAO.
- Immortal Game, the company that brings the game of chess to Web3, has closed $15.5 million in two rounds, including a $12 million investment in July. TCG Crypto led the Series A round: sponsors Cassius, Greenfield One, Sparkle Ventures, Kevin Durant and Rich Kleiman’s 35V, Blockwall, Kraken Ventures and Spice Capital also participated. It plans to use the funds to develop its platform, which is currently in beta for users who want to participate in the game’s gaming system and earnings.
Get the top crypto news and information of the day delivered to your inbox every night. Sign up now for the free Blockworks newsletter.