Whether it’s one of the best Minecraft farms or a complex flying machine, you’re sure to come across pistons in Minecraft at some point. They are a common component of Redstone that you can use in a variety of ways. It’s the most reliable block to make auto machines in the game, and that’s just scratching the surface as far as its usefulness. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves and first learn how to make a piston in Minecraft.
Make a piston in Minecraft (2022)
We will first cover the mechanics of a Minecraft piston, followed by its ingredients and crafting recipe. Use the table below to jump to the piston crafting recipe if you are already familiar with their use.
What is a piston in Minecraft?
A piston in Minecraft is a moving component of Redstone. Knocks blocks, players, and mobs right in front of him after receiving a Redstone signal. Once placed, you can break a piston with any tool and it always drops as an item.
What blocks can a piston push?
A piston can push all mobs and players in Minecraft. But when it comes to blocks, you have some exceptions. You cannot use a piston to push the following blocks:
In addition to these blocks, many untargetable blocks like Bedrock and Barrier blocks cannot be pushed with a piston either. On the other hand, there are some blocks like crops in Minecraft, which can be pushed but they break immediately. This mechanic is important when making a sugarcane farm in Minecraft. If you want to dig deeper, you can find the full list of unsupported blocks at minecraft wiki.
Items needed to make a piston
You need the following items to craft a piston in Minecraft:
Cobblestone is one of the easiest blocks to obtain in the overworld of Minecraft. You simply need to mine a stone block with a pickaxe (with or without enchantments). In the meantime, you will have to work a bit to get iron ingots because they are usually obtained by smelting iron ore in a furnace or blast furnace. However, you can use our Minecraft ore guide to find iron in no time.
When it comes to wooden planks, you can place any type of wood in the crafting area to make planks. The three planks in the piston recipe don’t even have to be the same type and can be made from different types of wood. The piston works the same way, regardless of what Overworld and Nether Wood it’s made of.
Minecraft Piston Crafting Recipe
After collecting all the necessary ingredients, you just have to combine them on a workbench to create a piston in minecraft. This is how you do it:
1. First, fill the top row of the crafting area with wooden planks. Planks can be made from any type of wood.
2. Then, put cobblestone blocks on the side columns of the middle and bottom rows, as shown in the diagram here.
3. Finally, place an iron ingot in the middle cell from the center row of the artboard. Then put Redstone dust in the cell below it. Just like that, you now have a piston ready to go. You simply need to take out the item in your inventory to place it where you want.
How to use a piston in Minecraft
Using a piston in Minecrafty is easy. You just need to place it next to the entity you want to push and then activate it with the help of any Redstone component. With that said, let’s try activating a piston using a lever.
1. First, place a solid block that can be pushed on any surface.
2. Then, while looking behind that placed block, place the piston. Your wooden part should face the block you want to push.
3. Once the piston is in place, place a lever next to the piston or place the lever on its back. But don’t put the lever on the side or top of the piston, because it will break when the piston moves.
4. Finally, right click or use the secondary action key on the stick to activate it. Doing so will activate the piston and cause it to push the block right in front of it.
Note that when you turn the lever off, the piston will move back, leaving the block in its new place. If you want it to pull the block instead of just pushing it, you need to make a sticky piston in minecraft.
How are sticky pistons made?
To make a sticky piston, simply combine a ball of slime with a normal piston on a crafting table.
Can pistons move obsidian?
A piston cannot push or pull obsidian.
What if there is more than one block in front of the piston?
If the block next to the main block is pushable, then the piston will end up pushing both of them. But if that block can’t be pushed, the piston won’t work.
Can a piston push lava or water?
Interestingly, due to some weird mechanics, the piston simply pushes the fire, water, and lava source blocks out of existence. In a way, it blocks any liquid source block in front of it.
Make and use a piston in Minecraft
Whether you want to push mobs to a specific spot to move some blocks, now you’re all set with a piston crafting recipe. But before you make plans to use it, make sure you craft a Redstone torch to power it up. You can even activate it from a far distance if you know how to use Redstone dust in Minecraft and can create a long loop using Redstone repeaters leading to the piston. With that being said, what are you planning to push with pistons in Minecraft? Tell us in the comments below!