Searching for precious minerals in Minecraft can be tedious. As a result, many players have created texture packs that allow them to see through non-essential blocks. These are called x-ray texture packs.
Since X-ray texture packs can be useful to players, it doesn’t hurt to use them from time to time. Once a player has used them, they are fairly easy to disable.
However, installing an X-ray texture pack can be confusing for newer players, especially considering the difference between the Java and Bedrock editions.
Below, players can find a quick guide on how to install the X-Ray texture/resource packs for the two main editions of the game.
Note: This article reflects the views of the writer.
Minecraft players can use x-ray texture packs even without third-party programs
Fortunately for Minecraft players, it’s not too difficult to install texture packs on the major editions of the game.
If players don’t use third-party programs, they can still enjoy texture packs and assets. However, they will need to know how to install them manually. This may not seem as complex as it initially appears. Using third party mod loaders and installers tends to make the process much easier.
With a simple move and file manipulation, players should be able to install and enable their X-Ray texture packs quickly and efficiently.
Steps to install X-Ray Packs on Java Edition
- Download your x-ray texture pack from a reputable site. In most cases, the package will be downloaded as a .zip or .rar file. Fortunately, players won’t have to worry about extracting these files, as the game can recognize them as is.
- Move your texture pack file to your resource pack folder in your Minecraft folder. The standard installation path for the game folder is in “Appdata/.minecraft/resourcepacks”. It can be easily located by opening the Windows search bar and entering “%appdata%” to find the first folder. Once the .zip/.rar file is placed in the resource pack folder, open the game.
- In the main menu, open the “Options” menu.
- Select the “Resource Packs” button.
- The texture pack should be visible in the list on the left of the screen. Click on the texture pack icon and it should now be activated. All that remains is to dive into the game and enjoy.
- If the texture pack cannot be seen, players can select the “Open Pack Folder” option to select the .zip/.rar file manually.
Steps to install X-Ray Packs on Bedrock Edition
- Unlike Java Edition, Bedrock Edition can download texture packs directly from the Minecraft Marketplace. However, it is also possible to install the packages from third-party sites without paying minecoins through microtransactions on the market.
- Download your texture pack file from a Bedrock Edition compatible site, such as MCPEDL or Resourcepack.net.
- If the package is compatible with Bedrock, it must be downloaded as a .MCPACK file.
- With Bedrock Edition installed on your device, simply open the .MCPACK file. Minecraft should automatically open and import the file. Players will see an “Import Successful” message once this is complete.
- Once the package has been imported, it can be viewed by opening the settings and clicking the “Global Resources” tab.
- To activate the pack, create or edit a world and click the “Resource Packs” tab. The installed package should be listed, and players simply need to press “Activate” to activate it to play.
While using an x-ray texture pack may not be right for every player, it can be incredibly helpful for those who want to find resources as quickly as possible.
Some players may consider it cheating. However, other players just don’t have the time to dig underground to find the right ore blocks they’re looking for.
Minecraft is a game that is all about personal preference. X-ray packs are just one example of players enjoying the game in their own way.
For detailed guides, tutorials, tips, and more, check out minecraft-wiki