If Minecraft is not running smoothly on your PC and you feel like you could use more stable frameworks and improved performance, OptiFine mod may prove to be a godsend for you. In this tutorial, we discuss the mod in detail and go through the process of installing OptiFine for Minecraft.
What is the OptiFine modification?
OptiFine is an addon for Minecraft that is designed to improve the gaming experience for players by making minor but well-thought-out changes to the game’s graphics and performance. This mod was created by sp614x for the Java version of the game in an effort to optimize Minecraft for low-end PCs. Here is a list of what you can do with OptiFine:
- Increase in-game FPS (Frames Per Second) and texture smoothing.
- Add shader packs and customize textures and animations.
- Introduces dynamic beams so light-emitting items like torches glow while equipped on either hand. When thrown, the torches also dimly illuminate the surrounding area.
- Add V-Sync to sync game FPS and your monitor’s refresh rate.
- Add smoothing to smooth out jagged lines.
The list does not stop there, as the mod also implements minor changes that are not noticeable on their own, but work together to provide a better base experience with the game.
Speaking of system requirements, OptiFine runs smoothly regardless of your PC specs. In other words, if your computer can run Minecraft, then it should also be able to support the weight of the mod. However, OptiFine is not available for the Bedrock version of the game, so you can only run it for your Java Minecraft world.
How to install OptiFine for Minecraft
Now that we have a basic idea of what the OptiFine mod does to your game, let’s go over the installation process. In this section, we discuss two different methods to install OptiFine depending on whether or not you have Minecraft. Curse Forge App.
1. Installation of OptiFine with Minecraft Forge (with modifications)
Before you begin, you need to make sure your Minecraft app is up to date. Otherwise, you will not be able to run the latest version of OptiFine. Once you have made sure that you are running the recent Minecraft update, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the OptiFine website. On the home page, select the same version of OptiFine as your Minecraft and click “Download”. For us, it was the release of Minecraft 1.19.
- On the next page, you will find a direct link to download the mod file.
- Go to the “Downloads” folder on your PC and navigate to the .jar file you downloaded. However, do not open the installer yet.
- Now, open your minecraft mods folder by pressing first windows + R to execute the “Run” command.
%Appdata%/.minecraftand click “OK”.
- In this directory, find and open the folder titled “mods”. If the folder isn’t there, create a new folder and rename it “mods”.
- Copy the OptiFine installer .jar file and paste it into the mods folder.
- Now that you’ve added the appropriate files to the mods folder, it’s time to launch OptiFine through Forge by opening the Minecraft launcher and clicking the arrow next to your version of Minecraft.
- Select your version of Forge from the list.
- Press “Play” to start Minecraft. Your OptiFine controls will be in the video settings.
2. Installation of OptiFine without modifications
- Download OptiFine from the official site OptiFine website to get the executable .jar file on your PC like you did in the above method.
- To locate the path to copy to Minecraft, first open your Minecraft launcher and go to “Installations”.
- Click “New Installation”.
- On the next screen, copy the path mentioned under “Game Directory”.
- Run the OptiFine installer. Make sure to install the content in the same place as mentioned in the previous step. Click “Install” to begin the process.
- Wait for the installation confirmation popup to appear. Click “OK” to continue.
- Open your Minecraft launcher and from the game versions select OptiFine to launch the game with the mod.
Is it better to run OptiFine on Fabric?
While it was not initially designed to support the Fabric mod loader, you can run OptiFine on it using another mod known as OptiFabric. The only drawback is that OptiFabric is difficult to maintain; Sooner or later, you may have problems uploading the mod to Fabric.
What is the Sodium mod for Minecraft? Is it better than OptiFine?
Both Sodium and OptiFine serve the same purpose of optimizing Minecraft for your PC. While both of these mods make for smoother gameplay, Sodium has an advantage over OptiFine if you want to focus solely on increasing your FPS. However, many people still prefer OptiFine simply because of the better configuration options for shaders and other visual settings.
Can OptiFine harm your PC?
OptiFine is a completely safe mod pack that you can add to your Minecraft world, as long as you have downloaded it from the official OptiFine website. This way you avoid the risk of viruses and malware or having your account stolen.
Image Credit: Hobbymb via Flickr All screenshots by Ojash Yadav
Is this article useful?
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials sent directly to your inbox