Whether in the real world or the world of Minecraft, one thing that is constant is change. And unlike in the real world, you can use some of the changes in Minecraft to your advantage. Quite literally! And if you know how to make a spotter in Minecraft, you can easily use it to automate a variety of Minecraft farms in the game. And that’s just the surface of the observer’s extraordinary abilities. With that, let’s learn everything you need to know about a looker in Minecraft!
Make an observer in Minecraft (2022)
We have covered the mechanics, required items, and crafting recipe for an observer in this guide. If you’ve already collected the items, use the table below to jump straight to the crafting recipe.
What is an observer in Minecraft?
An observer is a Redstone component that sends Redstone signals by detecting changes in front of it. has a face shape on one side that detects changes in the fluid or block placed just in front of it. And at the opposite extreme, the Observer has a Redstone beeper that sends out Redstone signals.
Once placed, the observer can only be mined with a pickaxe. But unfortunately, it doesn’t spawn naturally in the world of Minecraft, so mining will rarely be a problem. Instead, you need to create it manually or spawn it with Minecraft commands to get the observer.
How does an observer work?
An observer follows these mechanics in Minecraft:
- The observer only focuses on the block in front of him and sends a Redstone signal if its state changes.
- Each redstone signal sent by the observer is strong and continues for 2 ticks.
- As a unique mechanic, observers behave like a both opaque and transparent block. So Minecraft mobs can spawn on top of them, but at the same time, they don’t block chests from opening.
- If you want make a flying machine In Minecraft, spotters are a must as they can spot blocks being moved by a piston.
Differences in Java and Bedrock observers
The triggers by which a block is updated are different in Minecraft Java and Bedrock edition. So the observer of each edition can detect things that the other might not detect. Let’s review some of the most significant differences.
|Trigger||bedrock watcher||java watcher|
|changes in a cauldron||Nope||detected|
|break of a portal||Nope||detected|
|Creation of golems or Wither||Nope||detected|
|Sticky Piston Pushing/Pulling Blocks||Nope||detected|
|Shulker box opening or closing||Nope||detected|
|Beacon activation or deactivation||detected||Nope|
|Cropland changing its hydration state||Nope||detected|
|Melting or freezing of ice.||Nope||detected|
|Lava becoming another block||Nope||detected|
|Edit in the text of a sign||detected||Nope|
|Work in a notepad||Nope||detected|
|Activation of a dragon head.||detected||Nope|
|Changes in a box||detected||Nope|
|Ring of a bell||detected||Nope|
Items needed to make an observer
You need the following items to make an observer in Minecraft:
- 6 cobblestone blocks
- 2 pieces of red stone powder
- 1 nether quartz
- craft table
You can easily collect cobblestone blocks by breaking them with a pickaxe. They are quite common in the overworld of Minecraft and you can find them both on the surface and in underground caves (lush caves or stalactite cave seeds can be a good start).
Similarly, Redstone Dust can be collected by smashing Redstone Ore with an Iron Pickaxe. We already have a detailed guide that you can use to find Redstone in Minecraft. Lastly, Nether Quartz only spawns as a mineral in the Nether dimension. So, you need to find it and extract it with the help of a pickaxe. Alternatively, you can also trade with an expert level mason villager (one of Minecraft’s many villager jobs) for Nether quartz in exchange for an emerald.
Crafting a Observer’s Recipe in Minecraft
Once you have all the ingredients, it’s easy to create a watcher in Minecraft. First, fill the top and bottom row of the crafting area with cobblestone blocks. After, place the Nether quartz in the rightmost cell from the middle row.
Finally, place Redstone dust in the empty cells in the middle row in the crafting area. And that is. You have successfully created a watcher.
How to use a spotter in Minecraft
You can use a watcher in Minecraft for the following purposes:
- If a Minecraft farm has moving elements, a spotter can easily be used to automate it.
- When two observers face each other, they send pulse-like signals. Using this mechanic, you can create one of the fastest Redstone clocks using observers.
Make a Crop Harvester Using Observer
One of the simplest uses of the observer is to automate crop harvesting. When an observer detects the growth of a culture, he can automatically break it with the help of a piston. Follow these steps to make a simple automatic sugarcane harvester in Minecraft:
1. First, place the sugarcane on the dirt block, next to a water block.
2. Next, place a piston next to the sugar cane with a block just behind the piston. This piston must be facing the sugarcane and must be at least two blocks above it. You will need to use temporary blocks to position the piston two blocks high.
3. Then, place an observer just above the piston, and must face the sugar cane. After that, put Redstone powder on top of the block just behind the piston.
4. Now, whenever the sugar cane grows up to the observer’s height, it will send a signal to the piston. The piston will move and break the sugar cane and restart its growth cycle. If you have a hopper in place, you can even collect your broken sugar canes.
How far can a spotter detect in Minecraft?
An observer can only detect changes in the next block and not something further away.
Can an observer boost a block?
A repeater can power a block just like other Redstone components.
Can an observer spot a hopper?
Although it is a requested feature, an observer does not detect changes to storage blocks, including a hopper.
Do observers create delay?
When placed in a large quantity, observers can end up causing a delay. However, most Minecraft farms do not face such problems.
Make and use a spotter in Minecraft 1.19
With a watcher’s crafting recipe, you’ve now unlocked one of the most powerful blocks in the game. With the observer, you can bring to life some of the best Minecraft house ideas. And in case that is not enough, the best Minecraft mods are always there to help you. But you will have to install Forge in Minecraft to run these mods. In any case, with or without mods, how do you plan to use a spotter in Minecraft? Tell us in the comments below!