When it comes to lighting up a Minecraft house, you have a variety of options, from torches to blocks like the recently released Froglight. But none of them are as powerful as a Redstone lamp. It’s a reliable light source that not only illuminates the areas around your house, but you can also turn it on and off manually, depending on your needs. And if that wasn’t enough, it also doubles as a reliable Redstone component that you can use in Minecraft farm builds. But before we unlock its amazing uses, let’s first learn how to make a Redstone Lamp in Minecraft.
Make a redstone lamp in Minecraft (2022)
We cover the ingredients, crafting recipe, and uses of the Redstone Lamp in separate sections here. Use the table below to explore each of them at your convenience.
What is a Redstone lamp in Minecraft?
A Redstone Lamp in Minecraft is a component block that emits light when receiving redstone signals. It has a luminance level of 15, which is the brightest in the game, the same as lava and a beacon. Additionally, this block is non-flammable and won’t even catch fire from lava, making it a reliable choice for most builds.
Naturally, you can only find Redstone Lamps inside Old Towns in Minecraft. You can mine and collect them using any tool and even by hand.
Used of Redstone lamps
You can use a Redstone Lamp in Minecraft for the following purposes:
- Due to its high light level, the Redstone Lamp is a reliable block for lighting up areas and preventing hostile mobs from spawning in your village.
- The Redstone block, when connected to a power source, also acts as a powered block. So you can use it to transmit Redstone signals to the next block.
Items Needed to Make a Redstone Lamp
You need the following items to make a Redstone Lamp in Minecraft:
To get Redstone dust, you need red stone mineral mine, which usually spawns underground in the Minecraft overworld. You can use our dedicated guide to easily find Redstone in Minecraft.
Meanwhile, to get Glowstone, you must mine glowstone blocks with a tool enchanted with the silken touch enchantment. If you break it any other way, the block will drop Glowstone dust instead. However, you can combine four pieces of Glowstone dust in the crafting area to create a block.
Crafting Redstone Lamp Recipe in Minecraft
To craft a Redstone Lamp in Minecraft, you must first place a glowstone block in the center of the processing area. It should be placed in the middle cell of the middle row. Then place a piece of Redstone dust in each cell on the side of the Glowstone block. Only the corner cells of the crafting area should be empty at this point. And there you have it, a Redstone lamp!
How to Keep a Redstone Lamp Burning Permanently
The easiest way to light a Redstone lamp indefinitely is to connect a permanent power supply to it. You can do it using a Redstone watch, levera redstone torchand even a Block of Red stone.
Unfortunately, none of these objects are aesthetically pleasing and they are quite distracting. So you can’t use them in your Redstone builds if you want your activated Redstone lamps to sneakily light up. Fortunately, there is a simple solution to permanently power all your Redstone lamps while keeping the power supply hidden, so let’s walk through the steps:
1. First, place the Redstone lamp where you want to place it. Once activated, you will not be able to pick it up or move it without turning it off.
2. Then, put an element frame above the Redstone lamp.
3. Then place a pressure plate right above the element frame and both will fail each other. If you have an older version of Minecraft (~1.13), the Redstone Lamp will automatically activate at this point. If you have newer versions like Minecraft 1.19, go to the next step.
4. If you are on newer versions of Minecraft, you should jump on top of the pressure plate to activate it. Once you do, the item frame will keep the pressure plate and Redstone torch activated permanently. That’s a cool trick, right?
How to make an automatic night light in minecraft
There is no doubt that Redstone lamps are a great source of light. Therefore, many players use them mainly to light their bases at night. If you want to add them to your Minecraft base, follow these steps to make an automatic Redstone night light:
1. To get started, place your Redstone lamp where you want it to light up. Most of the players use it as a lamppost or lamppost.
2. Then, put a daylight detector on top of the Redstone lamp. After that, right click or use the secondary action key to make it detect the absence of light. The top of the daylight detector will be blue if it detects darkness.
3. Finally, all that remains is to wait for the sun to set. As soon as it gets dark in your Minecraft world, the Redstone Lamp will activate. It also works if the top of the daylight detector is covered and can’t get any light, which is another cool trick to keep the lamp on at all times.
Do Redstone lamps in Minecraft prevent mobs from spawning?
Redstone lamps are one of the brightest light sources in the game. It has a light level of 15, which is more than enough to prevent mobs from spawning.
How do you light a Redstone lamp underneath?
The Redstone Lamp can be lit by placing a Redstone Torch under it. It will stay on as long as the torch is under it.
Is the Redstone lamp opaque?
As a light block, the Redstone lamp is semi-opaque, but acts as a fully opaque block. It can transmit Redstone signals and even put down mobs.
Make and use a Redstone Lamp in Minecraft
With that, you’re ready to light up your Minecraft house ideas and foundations with one of the most powerful light blocks in the game. And while you’re upgrading your builds, be sure to explore some of the best Minecraft maps for some inspiring concepts. Alternatively, you can also take the help of these best Minecraft modpacks, which remove the game from any creative limitations on the developers. Having said that, does a Redstone Lamp fit into your Minecraft build? Tell us in the comments!