While playing Minecraft, you probably get the error message ‘Yyou need to authenticate to Microsoft services.’ It usually happens when you try to access external servers or personal multiplayer servers like realms.
Most of the time, this error is caused by a poor internet connection or an issue on the Minecraft server side. However, there can also be other causes.
This article will walk you through the causes of the authentication error and ways to fix it.
Causes: You must authenticate to Microsoft services
There are multiple causes behind this error. Let’s point out some of them before moving on to the corrections:
- Server down for maintenance
- Misconfigured time zone settings
- Blocked Minecraft Services
- server failures
- Server running without administrator privileges
- Outdated or corrupt installation
How to fix “You need to authenticate to Microsoft services” error?
The authentication issue is resolved by performing minor adjustments such as restarting the server and changing the time zone. However, there are also other fixes that work.
Here, we have compiled a list of 9 fixes that you can apply when you encounter this error. So, let’s get right into them without further delay.
Check server status
Before moving on to other fixes, you need to make sure that the Minecraft server is not down. Sometimes the Minecraft server goes down for maintenance and you may experience an authentication error. You can search on Google to know the status of Minecraft servers.
In case the servers are down, you have to wait until you get a notice from Minecraft. Otherwise, there is a problem on your side. Scroll down to see more fixes.
Sign back in to your Microsoft account
Since the error is mostly related to account authentication, the first thing you can do is sign back into your Microsoft account. As reported by many users, logging back in often resolves the error without any further issues.
Here’s how to sign back in:
- Launch Minecraft on your device.
- Play Settings from the home page.
- you will see a Profile tab under General settings. Click it.
- Click Sign out of your Microsoft account button.
- Once the logout is complete, you will see a login page again. Enter the correct credentials and log in to your account.
- In the next dialog, select Save to Microsoft account.
- A popup will appear asking if you want to use xboxlive.com to sign in. Click on Continue.
- In the next Microsoft popup, choose again Continue.
- Try to connect to the server and check if you are still facing the error.
Set time zone to automatic
You may also encounter the problem if the time settings on your device and the time server are different. Having a different time zone setting on your device and server creates sync issues, and the server cannot authenticate your connection. Therefore, set the time zone to automatic.
Follow these steps on your Windows PC:
- Press Windows + I to launch Settings.
- In the left pane of the Settings page, choose time and language.
- Select Date and Time of the right section.
- Activate Set time automatically Y Set time zone automatically options
- you can also use sync now button below Additional settings to synchronize the time with the server.
Try restarting the server
Sometimes the problem lies on the server side and you may encounter an authentication error. Rebooting the server usually resolves the issue.
Follow these steps to restart the server:
- Navigate to the Minecraft server folder on the local drive C: and find
- Open the file with Pad.
- To locate
online-mode=truein the text file.
- Replace real with fake in the text file and save it.
- Start the server.
- again established fake a real in
online-modeand save it
It should restart the server and fix any issues if the server is the culprit.
Minecraft Services Whitelist
An antivirus installed on your system can sometimes interfere with Minecraft services and block your access to the Minecraft server. Meanwhile, the firewall can also do the same. Whitelisting some Minecraft services will help resolve the issue.
Here’s how to whitelist sites from Windows Firewall:
- Right-click on the Start button and select Run from the list of options.
controlin the Run text field and press Enter to open Control Panel.
- navigate to Network and Internet > Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options window, jump to the Security tab.
- Click on the green logo mentioned as Trusted sitesthen click on the sites button.
- Add these websites one by one:
- Save the changes.
NoteNote: If you have an antivirus, the steps to add exception websites may differ. Please consult your respective antivirus guide.
Install the identity provider app from Xbox
Since the Minecraft server uses xboxlive.com to log in, not having a Xbox Identity Provider The application can create problems with the login and you may encounter the error. Make sure you have this app on your device before you try to sign in. You can simply download and install it using the Microsoft Store.
Run Bedrock Server as administrator
If you use a Bedrock version of Minecraft, it allows you to have a separate Bedrock server. This version allows you to host your own server locally or in a cloud. However, it may throw an authentication error if you don’t have admin privileges to run it. You need to run it as administrator, so you don’t encounter the error.
That is how:
- Locate the
bedrock_server.exefile on your computer.
- Right click on the file and choose Properties from the list of options.
- jump to the Compatibility section and then choose Change settings for all users.
- In the next window that appears, check Run this program as administrator option.
- Click Apply and so okay button to save changes.
Connect using the Hypixel server
Normally you connect to the Minecraft server using the server list. But the servers listed there may not always be able to authenticate the connection. If you are on the Java version of Minecraft, there is another high quality server called Hypixel that you can join. It should fix the authentication problem if other servers can’t resolve the request.
Follow these steps to connect using the Hypixel server:
- You must first add the Hypixel server in multiplayer. To do this, choose multiplayer on the menu.
- Click on the add server button in the next window.
- Write hypixel in the server name field and
mc.hypixel.netin Server address. Click Done.
- Then select join server, and ready. You shouldn’t find the problem now.
NoteNote: Hypixel versions do not work with Windows 10, Console and Pocket Edition versions of Minecraft. Make sure you are on the Java version.
Update or reinstall Minecraft
If you tried all the solutions mentioned in this post, you should be able to fix the error. However, if not, you can try to update Minecraft to the latest version or reinstall it.