You can play Fortnite with friends and family in split screen! If you don’t know how to do it, we will show you how to set up split screen mode on PlayStation and Xbox step by step.
Playing multiplayer games with friends has never been easier. Simply add your friend to a game and the fun can begin. For the slightly older generation, they may still remember the early days of gaming, where playing a multiplayer game meant playing with a friend on split screen. What a good weather!
However, with nearly everyone owning a modern console, smartphone, or PC, the need for split-screen support has diminished significantly. Still, there’s nothing like the thrill of split-screen gaming.
Fortnite is one of the most competitive and well-known Battle Royale games out there, and in fact, the game supports split screen! All you need is a second controller to jump into the action with your duet partner. However, there are a few steps you need to follow to set up split screen mode for the first time.
In case you don’t know how, we’re here to give you a step-by-step guide on how to play Fortnite on PlayStation and Xbox in split screen.
How to play Fortnite split screen on PlayStation
- Start the game with your main PlayStation Network account and create a Duo Lobby or Squad Lobbyas these are the only two modes you can play in split screen.
- Once you have set up the lobby, turn on the second controller and select your additional PlayStation Network account when the system asks “Who is using this driver?”
- After selecting your user, a small menu item should appear in the bottom right corner of the screen. The option should ask you to hold “X” to log in as player two. This will restart Fortnite and the game will ask you to link an account if you haven’t already.
- If the second player has their own Fortnite account, they will need to enter the code shown on the screen by navigating to the Epic Games Activation Page and log in to your account.
If the second player does not have a Fortnite account or does not want to complete the linking process, they will need to create a separate Epic account to link to their console. To do this, You will need to go to the Fortnite login page and create a new account using email or your second PlayStation Network account.
How to play Fortnite split screen on Xbox
- Sign in to Fortnite with your main account and create a duo or squad lobby.
- Once the lobby is ready to useturn on your second Xbox controller and press or hold the Xbox button until the side menu appears.
- Sign in with a Xbox account through Change Profile or create a new one before signing in. After completing the login process, a new menu item should appear in the bottom right corner of the screen. Holding down the The “A” button allows the second player to log into Fortnite. However, the game may ask you to link another Fortnite account first.
- If you already have a Fortnite account that you play on PC or another device, you can link it to your Xbox account by entering the code that appears on your screen via Epic Activation Page.
Can I play Fortnite in split screen on PC or Nintendo Switch?
Fortnite split screen mode is currently only available on PlayStation and Xbox and not on Nintendo Switch or PC. The main reason why the mode doesn’t work on Nintendo Switch is because the device isn’t powerful enough to run two instances of Fortnite side by side. Maybe that will change when the Switch 2 comes out at some point.
For more Fortnite: