Players of Minecraft: Bedrock Edition can install plugins to increase their gaming experience.
While players can download these addons through the Minecraft Marketplace, they can also obtain them from third-party sites and install them manually.
Manually downloading and installing Minecraft addons can be tricky for newcomers. However, it is not too complex compared to some older methods that used to be required for the game.
Whether gamers enjoy Windows 10 or the Pocket Edition of the game, adding a few plugins to your world should be as simple as downloading and manipulating a few files.
Minecraft Addons Boost Gameplay on Windows 10 and Pocket Edition
Since Windows 10 and Pocket Edition run off of the Bedrock platform, both machines can manually install plugins. Unfortunately, the console versions generally require players to use the Minecraft Marketplace instead. File handling on consoles is substantially more complex and can void a console’s warranty in certain circumstances, depending on whether homebrew applications are used.
Regardless, players will first want to find an add-on they’d like to download. For Bedrock Edition plugins, there are several excellent sites like Mcpedl, where you can safely find and download plugin files without malware.
Install add-ons in Windows 10
- Download the plugin of your choice. This file will likely be downloaded as a .zip or .rar file.
- Players will need to extract the contents of this archive using a program similar to WinRAR or 7zip.
- Copy the extracted files and folders and go to your com.Mojang folder. For Windows users, the file path is traditionally C:/users/username/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe/localstate/games/com.mojang.
- Paste the files and folders into the com.Mojang folder. Behavior packs will need to be pasted into the behavior packs folder and texture/resource packs will need to be placed in the resource packs folder.
- Open the game and create a new world or edit the settings of an existing one. Head over to the behavior and resource packs tab and select plugins from the pack menu. Players can then immerse themselves in their world and enjoy the game.
Installing plugins on Android
- Some Pocket Edition add-ons will download as a .mcpack or .mcworld file, which automates the installation process. If players download one of these file types, all they need to do is open the files with their Minecraft app and the add-ons will install automatically.
- If players download a .zip or .rar file, they will need to follow similar steps as for Windows 10 Edition. To get started, extract the files using an unzip application.
- Use a file explorer app or your device’s built-in file explorer to locate the extracted files in your downloads folder. Copy them.
- Go to your com.Mojang file. By default, this folder can be found on your internal storage at the file path /games/com.Mojang.
- Paste the resource packs into the resource packs folder and the necessary texture packs. The behavior packs will go to the behavior packs folder as expected. If players have a .mcworld file, it will be placed in the MinecraftWorlds folder.
- Open the game and select add-ons via the create/edit world menu, just like in Windows 10 Edition.
Installing plugins on iOS
- Players who download a .mcpack or .mcworld file can open the files with Minecraft to install addons.
- If the downloaded files are .zip or .rar files, iOS users will need to follow certain steps to install the plugins. Mac users should extract the files and place them in your com.Mojang folder as above. However, iOS users on Apple mobile devices will need to use a file explorer app like iFunBox to move the files after extraction.
- On mobile, open iFunBox and select the file browser tab.
- Find your device in the list on the right and click user apps.
- Select Minecraft PE from the next menu and when the dropdown appears, select open sandbox.
- Open the games folder and then com.Mojang.
- Copy and paste the plugin files into the appropriate folders. As stated above, resource and texture packs will go in the resource pack folder and behavior packs will go in the behavior pack folder. Map files (.mcworld) will also go into the MinecraftWorlds folder.
- Open the game on Pocket Edition or Mac and activate the plugins from the create/edit world menu.
Installing add-on files can be a bit tricky, depending on the player’s platform. Fortunately, many Bedrock Edition add-ons come in the form of .mcpack, and .mcworld files make the process easy, especially for Pocket Edition players. However, once players have installed and activated a few plugins, they should get used to the process and installing them should be straightforward in the future.