Communication is one of the most crucial aspects of Fortnite and can change the outcome of intense matches. As such, when Fortnite voice chat doesn’t seem to work, it can really hamper your chances of coordinating your teammates and coming away with the win.
If they leave you silent, here are all the solutions to try if your Fortnite voice chat isn’t working.
1. Try basic repairs
Before trying the technical solutions, make sure to restart the game at least once. There is a possibility that the voice chat stops responding due to a temporary glitch. To resolve this, consider restarting the game.
Make sure your in-game volume is set to 50% or higher. If the voice chat volume level is too low, you will have a hard time hearing your teammates.
A weak internet connection can also be a main reason behind the problem. So make sure you are connected to a stable and fast connection. You can check the stability and speed of your connection by visiting internet speed check websites.
Fortnite has a dedicated Trello board with information on all the current issues in the game. The Fortnite community regularly updates the dashboard with the latest issues and their respective solutions.
Then visit the Fortnite Trello Board for more information on different issues in the game, including the voice chat issue.
3. Check for ongoing server outages
Fortnite is an online multiplayer game and as such its servers encounter issues from time to time. Sometimes this affects the entire game, and sometimes only certain features are affected.
So whenever the Fortnite voice chat becomes unresponsive, visit the Epic Games Server Status Page to ensure all systems are operational. expand the Fortnite category and check the voice chat the server status. If the server status is not “operational”, something went wrong on Epic Games’ side and there’s not much you can do but wait for it to be fixed.
4. Make sure everyone is on the same voice chat channel
You can use two channels in Fortnite: party channel Y game channel, each with its own advantages. Party Channel helps connect players who are in the same party. Game Channel, on the other hand, helps connect players who are in different matches but on the same team.
You must be in the correct voice chat channel to communicate with your teammates. For example, if your teammates are on the Game Channel and you are on the Party Channel, you will not be able to communicate with them.
Then switch channels using the social menu to start communicating with your teammates.
5. Change parental control settings
Fortnite offers parental controls to ensure the game settings are perfect for your family. If this feature is enabled, you will not be able to use voice chat in the game.
As a workaround, make sure voice chat is enabled in the parental control settings. These are the steps to follow:
- Launch Fortnite and click on the Burger option in the upper left corner.
- Click on the gear icon and choose parental controls from the context menu.
- Type in the 6-digit parental control PIN and click Next.
- Change voice chat a All.
- Click on Save money.
That is all. Now restart the game and check whether you can use the voice chat feature or not.
6. Enable voice chat in Fortnite settings
Fortnite has a direct option to enable and disable voice chat. If it’s disabled, you want to be able to use the feature in-game.
So make sure voice chat is enabled in the Fortnite settings. You can check it by following the instructions below.
- Click on the Burger and select the Gear icon.
- Click on Settings.
- switch to the Audio menu.
- make sure that voice chat is set to All.
- You can also change the voice chat method a open microphone so that your colleagues can hear you at all times.
7. Check system settings
The next thing to check when troubleshooting Fortnite voice chat is your system audio settings. If your input and output device settings are set to the wrong device, you will not be able to communicate with your teammates.
Therefore, make sure your audio settings use the correct input and output device. You can check it by following the instructions below:
- Open the Control Panel using one of the many ways to open Control Panel.
- Change the View by a big icons.
- Click on Sound.
- In the Reproduction tab, select the output device you want to use as default, right-click and choose the Set as default device option.
- switch to the Recording tab, select the input device you want to use as default, right-click and choose Set as default device.
- Click on Apply > okay.
8. Allow Fortnite to access the microphone
If Fortnite cannot access the system microphone, then you are most likely facing the issue. To fix this, allow Fortnite to access your microphone. Here is how to do it:
- Open the Settings menu using the win + me hot keys
- To choose Privacy & Security from the left panel.
- In the App permissionsto choose Microphone.
- Locate Fortnite and enable the toggle next to it.
Then restart the game and check whether you can use the voice chat feature or not. If not, try the next solution on the list.
9. Download the latest game updates
Fortnite regularly receives updates to fix bugs, add features, and more. If the voice chat problem is caused by a bug in the game, downloading the latest update can be an effective solution.
You can download and install the latest Fortnite update by following the steps below.
- Open Epic Games Launcher, click on your profile and choose Settings.
- Click on Fortnite and check mark Fortnite Auto Update from the context menu.
The Epic Games Launcher will download and install any available updates for Fortnite on the next release.
Use voice chat in Fortnite with ease
You should now be able to use voice chat in Fortnite without any issues. However, if all else fails, you can try reinstalling the game as a last resort.