The Rebirth of the Dead Limited Time Mode will return to Call of Duty: Warzone, allowing Operators to become Zombies in a single 40-player Quad match. The undead are back in Warzone, bringing new meaning to the familiar map: Rebirth Island.
For fans who remember zombie-based Call of Duty: Warzone modes in the past, they’ll be familiar with this type of real undead. But with a new infestation mechanic and several small changes, including the exclusion of jump scares, this should be great news for scared streamers. Rebirth of the Dead is set to be a fast-paced, fun and challenging experience for all players.
How to play Rise of the Dead
Rebirth of the Dead is a modified Mini Royale that can be played by up to 40 players as part of a team of up to four players. In addition to exploring a haunted Rebirth Island under cover of the last day’s mist, Operators who die will be brought back to life as Zombies.
However, these zombies aren’t the usual fodder for grinding out cool camouflages – player-controlled zombies have a few tools at their disposal to survive:
- Loaded Jump: Close the gap or change movement patterns with this quick reload ability. The longer you hold down the command to perform a charged jump, the farther and higher you jump.
- EMP Explosion: Destroy enemy electronics, including equipment such as proximity mines, as well as vehicles and digital optics, and disable the HUD of any operators within the blast radius.
- gas grenade: Damage and disorient your enemies with the Gas Grenade, which shoots toxic particles in a small radius that you emanate from you. Great when combined with EMP Blast and in tight spaces.
Updated Revival Mechanics: Syringes, Supply Crates, and Finishing Moves
As in the previous Zombie Royale, eliminating Operators grants Zombies Syringes, the antidote to their undead status, in which a Zombie needs four Syringes to redeploy as an Operator.
New to Rebirth of the Dead, Lone Syringes can be found in Supply Crates, Medical Supplies, and Buy Stations. Zombies can now open supply boxes. Respawn Supply Crates, and even doors, but they can’t break through those heavy, cube-shaped Drop Crates without the help of an Operator.
Loose syringes will also stand out through obstacles: walls and other cover pieces so they are easy to spot, even in poor visibility conditions.
Alternatively, a Zombie will get two syringes for killing a human Operator. Or, if they perform a finishing move on that operator, they’ll get four syringes, in other words, an automatic redeployment to humiliate the prey.
New Mechanics: Infestation and Medical Supplies
Aside from adding a new way for zombies to turn back into humans, Beenox had three priorities for this new twist on the previous Zombie Royale mode:
“First, we wanted to increase the opportunities for interaction between Operator and Zombies teammates,” explained Gagné. “Number two was increasing the number of opportunities for players to get back into the game. We wanted the party to last longer. And third, we wanted to increase the number of zombies in play at once to really have that feeling of being up against a wall against a horde. The last two points are what inspired us to come up with the infestation mechanism.”
Infestation brings the spirit of a late-round zombie race to Warzone, as operators may need to fight dozens of recently respawning zombies to survive long enough for the final circles.
In Call of Duty: Warzone Rebirth of the Dead, the player’s HUD includes an infestation meter. It fills up as zombies are killed. Once it is full, the Infestation event begins. At the start of an infestation, all bystanders, zombies that were KIA, will respawn. This gives an “extra life after death” to players who may have been eliminated prior to the game.
The other event during Rebirth of the Dead is the Medical Supplies event. As its name suggests, this event drops medical supplies containing high rarity syringes and equipment around the map. Operators can open them for their zombified squadmates.
Apart from these differences, the rules of Rebirth of the Dead are like a standard Mini Royale: the collapse of the circle does not wait for any Operator or Zombie, although the latter can move through the gas, and the last surviving squad wins.
top five tips
- Disable, disorient and attack… As a zombie, using abilities is key to fighting operators with ranged weaponry. Activate EMP Blast to destroy nearby equipment. Follow up with the gas grenade to disorient them… and try to execute a finishing move; you can even get a reward for hitting at least one in this mode.
- Hybrid Power. If squadmates join the zombie ranks, they can still be useful in taking out enemy squads. For example, they can charge into an enemy head-on while the human players sit back and shoot. They can also open those medical supplies, which have plenty of syringes for their undead comrades.
- You have to give us a chance. Eliminating Operators isn’t the only way to collect Syringes – open supply crates those careless humans didn’t bother to check, and remember to look for red outlines of them through the walls and cover.
- Watch out for the infestation. This new mechanic can be a game changer, as a dozen or more additional zombies in the lobby can cause chaos. Check the infestation meter frequently to see when it’s almost full; Then prepare for a siege with field upgrades like portable cover and traps like a proximity mine.
- To the victor goes all the loot. If you win Rebirth of the Dead as a human, expect to receive the “Last Alive” animated calling card. Keep playing and learning from previous failed attempts to unlock what may be a rarity among all war zone accounts
For more information on Call of Duty: Warzone Rebirth of Dead and future updates, please refer to the official website here.