Google Chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular in the school system due to their ease of use and accessibility for students of all ages. At some schools, students will receive a free Chromebook that they can use and even take home to complete assignments. Chromebooks were also used during the pandemic to ensure all students had access to online learning. With so many portable laptops in the world, some students might wonder if there is another use for them besides doing homework.
For any player, loading Fortnite it’s an option on a Chromebook.
While this is possible through a couple of different methods, students should be careful when playing Fortnite, or any game for that matter, on a school-owned team. Some schools may have mandates that prohibit students from downloading a game onto school laptops.
Make sure it’s ok before adding Fortnite to your hardware.
The two different methods
Although technically there are three methods to play Fortnite on a school Chromebook, we will only review two. The third method requires players to go into developer mode on their Chromebook and download an .apk file, which could cause more problems for students. The two methods we have chosen are quite simple and only require students to access a web page.
Perhaps the easiest and most direct method of playing Fortnite on a Chromebook is through Nvidia’s cloud-based game streaming service, GeForce Now. The service allows gamers with any type of system to play a variety of games at a higher quality than they would normally be able to.
This is especially helpful for Chromebook users, as the laptop wasn’t designed with gaming in mind.
To use GeForce Now, gamers can go to the service web page and sign in to an active Nvidia account. By doing so, you will be able to choose from various membership plans. There is a basic free plan that allows gamers to use the GeForce Now servers for one hour per day.
However, the graphic quality of Fortnite or other games will be average.
If you want access to better hardware and graphics, you can pay $50 for six months for the Priority plan. This plan has the option of six-hour gaming sessions. Choose whatever plan works for your situation.
From there, you can search for a specific game, such as Fortniteand play it right there on the web page. Play FortniteYou’ll also need an Epic Games account, which can be created using a variety of methods, including Facebook, email, etc. One final thing to note, this method of play Fortnite on a school Chromebook only works for North America and Europe.
Google Chrome remote desktop mode
If you want a freer way to play Fortnite or you are from other region than NA or EU, then you can set remote desktop mode for Google Chrome. To do this, you will need access to a PC or another computer that you already have Fortnite installed on it.
Here are the steps to configure remote desktop mode:
- Open Google Chrome on your Chromebook
- In the search address bar, type the following URL: remotedesktop.google.com/access or go to this link
- Click “Set up remote access” and then press “Download”
- Follow the instructions on the screen to set up remote desktop mode
For these next steps, switch to your other computer that has Fortnite installed.
- On this computer, open Google Chrome and type the same URL: remotedesktop.google.com/access or go to this link
- Select the “Share this screen” option on the page
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the Remote Desktop Mode app
- Once the app is installed, click the “Get Support” option and select “Generate Code”
- Type this code and then copy it into the Remote Desktop Mode app on your Chromebook
- Once done, hit “Share” and the other computer’s screen should appear.
- Now, you can remotely access the computer that has Fortnite installed on it and play the game through that computer on the Chromebook
Both methods will allow you to access Fortnite on your Chromebook.