- There are a few different ways to change your Minecraft username, depending on what version of the game you have.
- Most Minecraft Bedrock players can change their username through the Xbox website.
- If you play Minecraft Java, you will need to change your name through the Minecraft website.
If you play Minecraft online, your username is often the first thing people see when they look at you. So if you don’t like your username, maybe it’s dumb, outdated, or just has a typo, you’ll want to change it immediately.
It shouldn’t take long to change your Minecraft username, but the exact method you use depends on the version of the game you play. This is what you need to know.
How to change your Minecraft username
There are two main versions of Minecraft: Java and Bedrock. They have a lot of differences, and one of those differences is the steps you need to take to change your username.
If you’re not sure which version you have, think about what system you’re using.
- If you’re playing on a Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, iPhone, iPad, or Android device, you’re playing Bedrock.
- If you’re playing on a Mac or Linux computer, you’re playing Java.
- If you’re playing on a PC, it could be anyone. Open Minecraft and see if it says Java Edition under the title; if it does, you’re playing Java. If not, you’re playing Bedrock.
How to Change Your Minecraft Username in Bedrock Edition
In Bedrock Edition, your username is connected to the “Gamertag” of your Microsoft account. So to change it, you will need to change the Gamertag.
1. Go to the Xbox website and log in to your account by clicking Check in in the top right, if you haven’t already done so.
two. Once you have logged in, open your Xbox profile and click personalize under your name
3. Click the pencil icon next to your current username.
Four. Type the new name you want to change to, then click Check availability. If no one else has that name, it’s yours now.
What to do if you’re playing Bedrock but don’t have a Microsoft account
Some versions of Minecraft Bedrock, specifically the Switch, PlayStation, iPhone, iPad, and Android versions, do not require you to have a Microsoft account to play. Not having a Microsoft account locks you out of multiplayer, but if you still want to change your username, you have options.
On an iPhone, iPad, or Android, the default name without a Microsoft account is “Steve.” You can change it by touching Settings and so Profile.
On a PlayStation, your name will match your PlayStation Network name. There are three ways to change that, which you can find more details on here.
And on Nintendo Switch, your name will be whatever your console’s profile name is. You can change your Switch name through the user profile screen.
How to Change Your Minecraft Username in Java Edition
Java Edition is the original version of Minecraft and works a little differently than its newer counterpart.
1. Open the official Minecraft website and sign in to your Microsoft account.
two. Once you have logged in, go to the My games screen. Under Minecraft: Java Editionclick Name of profile.
3. Enter your new username and then click Change profile name.
Unlike Bedrock, changing your username is free in Java. But you can only do it once every 30 days.
The next time you log into Minecraft, you should see your new username.