Minecraft 1.19 update is here, and with that, we have plenty of new gameplay mechanics to explore. Most of these mechanics are connected to the arrival of various types of sculk blocks in the game. Some of these blocks can help you in the Redstone mechanics, while all the others can be used for cosmetic purposes. In this guide, we will be using a type of sculk block to create one of the most effective XP farms in Minecraft so far. And the best thing is that it is mostly automatic. With that, there is a lot of ground to cover. So let’s quickly jump in and learn how to make a sculk farm in Minecraft.
Make a Sculk XP farm in Minecraft (2022)
We will first cover the mechanics of sculk followed by preparations for making the farm. But if you’re in creative mode, use the table below to jump right into the process of how to create the sculk farm.
What is Sculk Catalyst and how does it simplify XP farms?
The Sculk Catalyst is one of the more unique types of operative blocks added to the game with the Minecraft 1.19 update. It is also the main element that we need to make our XP farm work. It works in a really simple way. If any mob dies within 8 blocks of the Sculk catalyst and loses experience, the catalyst extends sculk features around that place.
While distributing sculk functions, the catalyst ends up spawning other types of sculk blocks, including normal sculk, sensor sculk, and vein sculk. But what is the benefit of generating sculk features around the catalyst? Let’s find out:
Get XP from Sculk Blocks
The best part about sculk blocks in minecraft is that drop XP or experience orbs when it is extracted. This also applies to the veins of the skull. Regardless of which tool you use, you will surely gain XP every time you break a Sculk family block. So yes, killing any kind of mob around a sculk catalyst means you’ll see sculk features spawn all over the place, which when broken will grant you XP quickly and easily.
Compared to killing mobs, breeding, and other activities that produce experience, mining sculk blocks is the easiest and most efficient way to collect XP in Minecraft right now. No other XP farm comes close.
How to Get a Sculk Catalyst
Minecraft only offers us two ways to get a sculk catalyst in the game. One of them is easy and efficient. Another just isn’t worth the effort. But in any case, here are the two methods to get a sculk catalyst in Minecraft:
- The Sculk Catalyst can be easily found in the Deep Dark biome. They spawn at a higher rate in the old town in Minecraft 1.19. you have to use a hoe with the charm of the touch of silk to pick it up. Our Minecraft enchantments guide can help you get a touch of silk in no time.
- If you are feeling adventurous, you can fight and kill the Guardian in Minecraft. Upon death, the Guardian falls a sculk catalyst along with 5XP. Because the Warden has more health than the boss mobs in the game, this fight is simply not worth your time or effort.
How Does a Sculk Farm Work?
As you may have already guessed, the main purpose of the sculk farm is to collect XP by generating mineable sculk blocks. But for that, a lot of mobs have to die near the sculk catalyst. So what you are looking at is an upgraded version of the mobster farm in Minecraft.
Here, we will spawn a variety of hostile mobs in a nearby rooftop chamber just like a normal farm. The flowing water will then carry the mobs into an open passageway in the chamber floor, making them fall to his death immediately. As soon as hostile mobs die, the sculk catalyst will activate and spawn sculk functions.
So all that’s left for you to do is mine the new sculk blocks and collect XP. Note that you cannot collect XP if your tool has a Silk Touch enchantment. So make sure you have enough copies of the tool or materials to craft it.
Requirements to make a Minecraft Sculk farm
To make a sculk farm in Minecraft 1.19 or later, you need the following items:
- A Sculk Catalyst
- an open area (at least 9*9)
- 1600 building blocks (25 stacks)
- 2 buckets of water
- 64 hatches (1 stack)
- A hoe (none)
Besides the sculk catalyst, everything else you need to make a sculk farm is readily available. As for the building blocks, we suggest you use pavers as it is readily available and reliable.
Make Sculk XP Farm in Minecraft 1.19
We have divided the farm crafting process into several sections to make it easier to follow. Each section here covers a specific part of the XP farm. You can prepare one and then move on to the other so you don’t get overwhelmed.
Create base for farm
Follow the steps below to make a foundation for your sculk farm:
1. First, go to a open area that is at least 9 block radius. Then place a block in the middle of that area. This is the place where you need to put the Sculk Catalyst later on.
2. Then place one block exactly 8 blocks away from the central block in all four horizontal directions. These four blocks mark the range within which sculk features can be generated.
3. If you want to collect items from dying mobs, you can also place hoppers with chests around the middle block. But since XP is our main motive with sculk farms, collecting items is a completely optional step.
mob spawn zone
Follow these steps to create a natural mob spawner for your sculk farm in Minecraft:
1. To continue, build a pillar on top of each of the four blocks that marks the sculk range of our farm. These pillars must be at least 25 blocks tall, giving enough fall damage to falling mobs.
2. Then join the four pillars with the help of building blocks and create a 3 blocks high wall above the pillars.
3. Finally, create a floor for the camera while connecting the pillars to each other. Don’t forget to leave a 2 x 2 hole in the middle for the mob death trap.
4. Then create 2 block high platforms in the four corners of the chamber. But be sure to leave a bridge-like area, which is 2 blocks wide open between each platform. See the following diagram for reference.
5. So, place a trapdoor in each upper block of the bridge and put water on the edge of the wall side of each bridge. The water will flow into the opening in the ground, and any peat that enters the stream will flow to its death.
Spawn mobs for XP Farm
In Minecraft, mobs spawn in low-light areas and at night. With that logic in mind, you can spawn hostile mobs even during the day if you give them a dark, open area. For our mob farm, that area is the chamber at the top of the pillars. You just need to put a roof over the chamber to start spawning hostile mobs at all times.
How to use Sculk Farm to collect XP
With everything in place, you only have to wait a few minutes before the mobs start spawning and dying. Every time a mob falls and dies, the the sculk catalyst will activate and begin to spread the sculk functions. You just have to wait a while until the sculk functions to cover a large enough area.
So you need to use a hoe to mine all new sculk blocks. Make sure to do this without the Silk Touch enchantment so that the blocks you mine will disappear and drop experience orbs. With just an hour of effort on this farm, you could get all the experience points you will need in your survival world.
Renovate Sculk Farm
One thing that separates the sculk farm from other farms in the game is its ability to replace blocks. Instead of generating new blocks, the sculk catalyst replace existing blocks around himself to develop sculk characteristics. Even though this range expands to more than one part, it can still get limited after a few runs of the XP collection.
So you have to place other common building blocks to fill the gap done when you break the sculk blocks. Doing so will make it easier for you to collect XP and keep the farm running. Interestingly though, if the Sculk catalyst has limited blocks around it, some sculk functions can be merged and applied in the same block leading to a stack of 1000 experience orbs per block.
Make Minecraft Sculk Farm more effective
Follow these tips to make your sculk farm in Minecraft 1.19 more efficient:
- If possible, you should do multiple sculk farms over a large area. Doing so will give you plenty of time to reestablish one farm while another extends its sculk duties.
- To save time while collecting experience orbs, you can use some of the best Minecraft enchantments on your hoe to make it more effective.
- If you want to collect specific items while killing hostile mobs, you need to use an Allay in Minecraft to target and pick those items.
- The spread of sculk functions is directly proportional to the experience collected by the sculk catalyst. So if you can use mobs from the Nether portals, you can get better results from your farm. Alternatively, a mob generator can also produce similar results.
Make and use a Sculk farm in Minecraft
Whether you want to collect experience orbs to use with enchanted books or a ton of risk-free sculk blocks, the sculk farm in minecraft can help. Because it is still new to the game, you can use it on the best Minecraft servers to beat your friends in progression much easier. However, it would be nice if you also share with them how to make a sculk farm in Minecraft. In case you’re wondering about how to get the starting sculk catalyst, our best minecraft old town seeds can get you into a deep dark biome right after spawning. After that, it’s up to you to avoid the Guardian and collect a sculk catalyst. That said, what other farms should we create for Minecraft 1.19? Tell us in the comments below!