Players have reported a Call of Duty: Vanguard error 0x887A0005 since the game’s launch. Error 0x887A0005 is a recurring crash issue that usually occurs in Vanguard Zombies and Campaign modes. When the crash occurs, Vanguard abruptly quits and displays the error message “This application has unexpectedly stopped working.”
If you encounter a single crash, you should be able to continue playing the game without issue. However, some players have reported that the 0x887A0005 error repeatedly crashes their copy of Vanguard. As such, this is how you can fix Call of Duty: Vanguard error 0x887A0005 on Windows 10 and 11.
1. Start Call of Duty: Vanguard with administrator rights
First, make sure Call of Duty: Vanguard has full access to files and resources on Windows by running the game with elevated administrative permissions. You will need to set both the game and its Battle.net launcher to run with administrator rights.
This is how you can configure Vanguard to start with elevated rights:
- Open File Explorer by pressing Victory + me.
- Open the Vanguard installation folder.
- Right click on Vanguard Launcher in the game folder to select Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab to access the configuration settings.
- Select the small box for the Run this program as administrator adjustment.
- Press Apply to save the selected compatibility options.
- then you can click okay to close the Vanguard properties window.
- Repeat those steps for the Battle.net Launcher.exe file in your Battle.net folder.
2. Set Vanguard graphics to low preset
Error 0x887A0005 can arise for gamers who are playing with graphics settings that are too high for their PCs. If you’re not playing Vanguard on a particularly high-spec PC, lowering your overall graphics preset might be a viable solution. Sure, the game won’t look that great, but at least then you’ll be able to play it smoothly. You can set the Vanguard graphics preset to a low value like this:
- Start your game Call of Duty: Vanguard.
- press play Settings button.
- Click on the Graphics tab.
- Select the Quality tab.
- then choose Bass about him Quality Presets Dropdown menu.
- Select the apply settings option.
3. Disable texture streaming
Disabling texture streaming has been a fix for error 0x887A0005 for some Call of Duty: Vanguard players. To disable that option, open Vanguard’s Graphics tab as described in the resolution above.
Click Transmission of textures on demand within the display settings. Then select to turn off the Transmission of textures on demand and remember to apply the new settings.
4. Scan the Vanguard game files
Error 0x887A0005 can be caused by corrupted Vanguard game files. In which case, Battle.net’s scan and repair The gaming utility might fix that problem for at least some gamers. This is how you can scan your Call of Duty: Vanguard game with this tool.
- Start the Battle.net game client for Vanguard.
- Click All the games at the top of Battle.net to select Call of Duty: Vanguard.
- press the Options button on the Play option.
- Click scan and repair to verify your Vanguard game files.
By the way, the 0x887A0005 error message window includes a scan and repair option. When the game crashes, you can select that option in the error window. If that doesn’t solve the problem, try selecting scan and repair within Battle.net.
5. Select the “System Managed Page File” option in Windows
the System Managed Page File The option will be selected by default unless you have changed the virtual memory settings. If you have made any adjustments to page archiving, it is recommended that you select the option System Managed Page File settings to play Call of Duty: Vanguard. You can select that option as follows:
- Press Win + S to open Windows Search.
- Enter the keyword advanced system settings in the text box of your search tool.
- Select See advanced system configuration from the search tool.
- Click Settings about him Advanced tab to bring up another window.
- Select the Advanced tab on the performance options window.
- press the Change to open virtual memory.
- Uncheck the Automatically manage page file size for all units cash register.
- Select the System Managed Size radio button if it is not already selected.
- Click okay in the Virtual Memory window.
- Select Apply in the Performance Options window.
- Then restart your Windows PC.
6. Update your graphics driver
Call of Duty: Vanguard includes some fancy graphical features and effects. Such graphic enhancements can cause error 0x887A0005 if the graphics driver on your PC is outdated.
As such, it’s a good idea to make sure your GPU has the latest NVIDIA or AMD driver available. See our guide on how to update graphics drivers for more information on how to do this.
7. Disable unnecessary third-party background programs and services
If too many programs are running in the background, there may not always be enough system RAM available for Vanguard. Disabling background programs will free up system resources for Call of Duty: Vanguard.
Windows clean boot is a way to disable background programs and services by removing them from startup. Here’s how to perform a clean boot with the system configuration tool.
- Start the system configuration utility with a method in our guide to open MSConfig.
- Click on the Load startup items check box to deselect the selected option.
- Select the Hide all Microsoft services setting in System Configuration Services tab.
- Press disable all to clear the checkboxes for all other third-party services that still appear in the list.
- Click Apply to set the new boot configuration.
- Select okay Y Restart to end.
Play Call of Duty: Vanguard after a clean boot of Windows. Does error 0x887A0005 still occur? If not, it could be because the clean boot made more system resources available.
The 0x887A0005 crash might come back if you restore your original boot configuration. However, you can restore the original boot configuration by reselecting the Load startup items box in the system configuration tool. Select Allow them all to re-enable disabled services.
8. Reinstall Call of Duty: Vanguard
If error 0x887A0005 persists after applying the possible resolutions above, you may need to reinstall Call of Duty: Vanguard to replace your files. That means you’ll have to download the game again, which can take a few hours.
You can reinstall Vanguard from the Battle.net launcher like this:
- Open the Battle.net window.
- Click All the games to select Vanguard.
- Select Options to the right of the game Play button.
- Click uninstall to remove the game.
- Restart Windows to make sure Vanguard is completely uninstalled.
- Then reopen Battle.net and select the Install option for Call of Duty: Vanguard.
If you have a laptop, plug it in to make sure the battery doesn’t die before Vanguard has fully downloaded and reinstalled.
Fix Vanguard Error 0x887A0005
Call of Duty: Vanguard error code 0x887A0005 crashes the game for players who need to fix it. Applying the above potential fixes will likely resolve error 0x887A0005 for most Vanguard players. Therefore, please test those potential resolutions before contacting Activision support for the game.