Minecraft is a popular game that is constantly getting updates and making improvements. Players can build just about anything in the worlds they create. With so many people wanting to play Minecraft, downloading it is the first step in the process and players need to keep it updated to get all the new features.
This is how players can safely download and update Minecraft.
How players can download and update Minecraft on all platforms (2022)
Downloading Minecraft on any system is key to starting a wonderful adventure. Players will be able to download Minecraft on Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, Nintendo Switch, PS4 and PS5, Windows 10 PCs, Macs, and Android and iOS devices.
Each of these device families has a slightly different way that players can install the game. This is how players can install the game on each.
Download on Windows 10 PC
Players can install the game on their PC quite easily by following these steps:
- Go to the official download website and download the Minecraft file for PC
- Once downloaded, run the setup file and install the game.
- Once the game is installed, the Launcher will open.
- Players need to login to the Launcher and then they will be able to launch the game.
Downloading on MacOS
Players who want to play on a Mac computer can download the Java Edition by following the steps below:
- Go to the official download website, which will ask players to enter payment information and purchase the game.
- When purchasing the game, players must install Launcher for MacOS. This will then download the launcher
- Follow the steps to install the Launcher on the Mac
- Open the Launcher and log in, once inside, you can play the game.
Downloading on Nintendo Switch
Players who want to download the game on Nintendo Switch can get the game in two ways: they can buy the official cartridge, skip the download step, or they can go to the Nintendo eShop to purchase the game. Players need to follow the steps below to download the game:
- Players must log in to Nintendo eShop
- Once in the Nintendo eShop, players should search for Minecraft
- Once the game is listed in the store, players will need to purchase it from the eShop.
- The game should start downloading on the player’s console.
- Once the game has been downloaded, players can select the icon in the Switch tray and launch the game.
Download on PS4 and PS5
Players who want to download the game on PS4 or PS5 can get the game as a physical disc, which will download automatically upon inserting the disc, or they can purchase a digital copy from PlayStation Store. Players need to follow these steps to download the game:
- Players can head to the PlayStation Store from the main menu
- Once inside the store, they should scroll to the search menu and search for Minecraft
- Players must select Minecraft and then purchase the game in order to install it.
- Once purchased, players need to start downloading and installing the game.
- Once installed, players must select the Minecraft icon in the app tray, which will launch the game.
Download on Xbox One and Series X | yes
Xbox One and Xbox Series X (Series S doesn’t have a disc drive) gamers can download the game or get a physical disc. When using a physical disc, the game will install when the disc is placed in the system.
However, if players need to download the game, they will be able to do so by using the Microsoft Store directly on their Xbox and following these steps:
- Players should head to the Microsoft Store from the main menu
- Once inside, they should go to the search menu and search for Minecraft.
- Players must select Minecraft and then purchase the game and download it (unless the user has Game Pass, which is included)
- Once the game has been purchased or unlocked with Game Pass, players can download it.
- Once the game is downloaded and installed, players can select the Minecraft icon in the app tray to launch the game.
Download on Android devices
Players who want to download the game on their Android compatible tablet, phone or device are in luck. Downloading the game is easy by following these steps:
- Players need to launch the Google Play Store
- Once inside, they must search for Minecraft
- Once located, players will need to purchase the game and download the file.
- Once the game is downloaded, players can click on the app icon to launch the game.
Download on iOS devices
Downloading the game on iOS devices such as iPhone and iPad is quite easy. Players can easily do this by following these steps:
- Players should head to the App Store
- Once inside the App Store, they will want to search for Minecraft
- Players will need to purchase Minecraft and it will start downloading
- Once the game is downloaded, players can tap on the app icon to launch the game.
Keep the game up to date with regular updates on all devices
Keeping the game up to date after downloading is a way for players to take advantage of all the latest bug fixes, improvements and features added to the game. The process differs slightly for each device, but players will want to follow the guides below to keep their game fully up to date.
Update on PC with Windows 10 and macOS
The best thing about having the game on a PC or Mac computer is that when players need to launch their game, they need to open the launcher. The game will be able to update directly in the launcher and will notify you of an update. Simply accept the update download and the game will be updated to the latest version.
update on consoles
If the game has automatic updates, the game will update on launch. However, if the player does not have this enabled, they will receive a prompt to update to the latest version when launching the game. Just accept the prompt to start the download to the latest version of the game.
Update on Android and iOS devices
Like consoles, these devices are usually set to automatically download updates when the device is plugged in and connected to the Internet. Players can also manually download updates through the Google Play Store or App Store when they receive an update notification. Both methods will ensure that players always have the latest version available for download.